Heartland Credit Union and Isthmus Publishing Co. are pleased to announce that after having received an outpouring of notable nominations and qualified candidates, the judging committee has met and named the winners of the 2011 Isthmus Independent Business Awards!
Here are the winners:
- Market Spark: The nominees are local businesses that have stepped out in front of the crowd modeling innovative practices. And the winner is... Jim Birkemeier, Spring Green Timber Growers
- Fresh Food Friend: The nominees are committed to delivering local, sustainable food through restaurant or retail channels. And the winner is...James Baerwolf, Sassy Cow Creamery
- Dynamic Developer: The nominees create sustainable projects that benefit the community. And the winner is... Steven Ziegler, ZDA, Inc.
- Green Angel: The nominees advocate for environmentally sustainable practices in their local businesses and lifestyles, encouraging others to do the same. And the winner is... Tim and Kevin Metcalfe, Metcalfe's Market
- Heartland Artist: The nominees are visual or performing artists who demonstrate a commitment to the community through their work, representing the best of the independent-minded creative class. And the winner is... Timothy and Renee Farley, Farley's House of Pianos
- Neighborhood Notable: The nominees demonstrate leadership in making their neighborhood and its businesses successful. And the winner is... Marilyn Burke, Marilyn's Salon & Opera House
- Bridge Builder: The nominees bring together people with different points of view to effect positive change. And the winner is... Milele Chikasa Anana, Umoja
- Dane and Beyond: The nominees use new technology to reach beyond today's way of doing business. They encourage innovation to connect Dane County with the world. And the winner is... Chris Meyer, Sector 67
The eight Indies recipients will be featured and recognized in the November 10 edition of Isthmus, as well as at an awards ceremony at Steenbock's on Orchard in the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery on Monday, November 14. Tickets are available for the award ceremony at the Isthmus offices on 101 King St. or by phone at 251-5627. Come out and show your support for these outstanding heroes of our community!