Heartland Credit Union and Isthmus Publishing Co. are pleased to announce that after having received an outpouring of notable nominations and qualified candidates the judging committee has met and named the winners of the Isthmus Independent Business Awards!
Here are the winners:
- Market Spark: The nominees represent a new or established local business that has stepped out in front of the crowd, modeling innovative business practices. And the winner is... Barry Levenson, Founder, National Mustard Museum
- Fresh Food Friend: The nominees nourish a commitment to support and deliver local, sustainable food resources, through restaurant or retail channels. And the winner is... Anya Firszt, General Manager, Willy Street Co-op
- Green Angel: The nominees advocate for environmentally sustainable practices in their own local businesses and lifestyles, encouraging others to do the same. And the winner is... Rick Cathcart, SCRAM! Couriers
- Heartland Hipster: The nominees are visual or performing artists who demonstrate a commitment to the community through their work, representing the best of the independent-minded creative class. And the winner is... Tom Linfield, ArtsTribe
- Dynamic Developer: The nominees lead in building or adapting sustainable projects that provide economic and social benefits to the local community. And the winner is... Thomas Thayer, President and CEO, Tri-North Builders
- Neighborhood Notable: The nominees demonstrate dedicated leadership and advocacy to make their communities successful and safe, directly benefiting their home turf. And the winner is... Carol "Orange" Schroeder, Founder, Orange Tree Imports
- Bridge Builder: The nominees demonstrate the ability to bring together people with different points of view, connecting local communities to effect positive change. And the winner is... Rev. Gene Ferrara, Center for Conscious Living
- Dane and Beyond: The nominees reach beyond today's way of doing business. They mentor and help solve problems that block economic and community growth, encouraging innovation in Dane County and beyond. And the winner is... Bryan Chan, CEO, SupraNet Communications, Inc.
The eight Indies recipients will be featured and recognized in Isthmus on November 4, as well as at an awards ceremony at Eldorado Grill on Monday, November 15. Tickets are available for the award ceremony at Isthmus offices on 101 King St. or by phone at 251-5627. Come out and show your support for these outstanding heroes of our community!