Today's image is titled Wisconsin football stadium, this parcel of land was once a fairground located well beyond the southwestern edge of the city and was subsequently converted into a training installation and prisoner-of-war camp during the Civil War.
Some 70,000 soldiers entered Camp Randall via its Dayton Street entrance over the course of the war. The Camp Randall Memorial Arch was officially dedicated on June 19, 1912 at a gathering of veterans of the Union Army as a memorial to the facility, which would be permanently converted five years later with the construction of the football stadium. More information about the early days of the camp are available from the Wisconsin Electronic Reader, and the Second Wisconsin Regiment.
This is the latest entry of Madison Snaps: photos of Madison-area events and locations. The send a message. There is no compensation for Madison Snaps photos, which are © to the respective photographers.