Get ready to shop, eat and celebrate the environment and so much more at the third-annual Isthmus Green Day at Monona Terrace on Saturday, April 17. The eco-celebration will be bigger and better this year, with the addition of a celebrity chef, national speakers, and a green wedding.
The complete schedule runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Main Stage in Monona Terrace Exhibition Center
- 9:00 a.m.: Lisa Kivirist, co-author of Rural Renaissance, talks "Organic Eating on a Dime."
- 10:00 a.m.: REAP Food Group presents a cooking demonstration.
- 11:00 a.m.: Activist and author Bill McKibben discusses his newest book, Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough Planet.
- 12:30 p.m.: Sonya Newenhouse, executive director of Madison Environmental Group, reveals how to be "Greener, Deeper, Faster."
- 2:00 p.m.: Keynote presenter Rick Bayless talks about his local farmer foundation, hosting the PBS series Mexico: One Plate at a Time, winning Top Chef Masters, and how he grew his business into an acclaimed empire that includes scores of books and two of Chicago's dining hot spots.
- 3:30 p.m.: Kevin Tubb, executive chef at Food Fight Restaurant Group's Eldorado Grill, will demonstrate how to prepare some of his famous food.
- 4:15 p.m.: Live streaming of the Isthmus Green Day Wedding.
Lakeside Commons breakout sessions
- 9:00 a.m.: Madison Peak Oil Group presents "Solar Energy Basics -- Electricity and Hot Water."
- 10:00 a.m.: The Center for Natural Medicine presents "Personal Sustainability: Thriving Body, Thriving World."
- 11:00 a.m.: Calvert Investments presents "Investing from the Heart."
- 12:00 p.m.: Richard Brooks presents "Show Me the Green: Profitable Practices for Small Businesses with the Local Advantage."
- 4:00 p.m.: Isthmus Green Day Wedding with Kelly Starr-King and Mike Drake. Attendance by invitation only.
Isthmus Green Day is a family-friendly, environmentally focused festival and exposition designed to help people in the Madison community -- no matter what their circumstances -- live a greener life. The fest features hundreds of products, dozens of demonstrations and an excellent roster of interesting speakers. Expectations are high for the single-day happening, which incorporates cooking demonstrations, eco-friendly fashion, alternative health information, entertainment, food and drink, a children's area, hybrid and electric cars, a green wedding and so much more.
More information about Isthmus Green Day is available here. Isthmus Green Day is being planned with the input and support of an advisory group, whose members are from active community organizations.
Isthmus Green Day sponsors include GHC, Fresh Madison Market, Food Fight Restaurant Group, REAP, Whole Foods, Organic Valley, Vendura Industries, Calvert Funds, Madison Metro, the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin, the Aldo Leopold Nature Center and the Madison Children's Museum. Media Sponsors include WKOW-TV and Mid-West Family Broadcasting: Magic 98 and WTDY.
Tickets will cost $5. Children under 12 will receive free admittance. Guests will also receive free admittance if they bus or bike to the event.