Who is your unsung hero? Who do you know that deserves an Indie Award?
Is it the store with the greenest gadgets, the carpenter that built the sandbox for your local school or the restaurant with the menu full of fresh and local flavors?
Heartland Credit Union and Isthmus Publishing Co. encourage you to nominate and celebrate the independent businesses and artists for the first annual "Indies." The Isthmus Independent Business Awards, the "Indies," will honor local businesses leaders and artists who boldly go their own way and, by doing so, have made our community richer. They embrace risk, shrug off stereotypes and boldly leap outside the box.
This September, area residents will nominate worthy local business people and artists who represent the best of the community through their leadership, philanthropy and community building. Nominees must be independent businesses owners or operators, proprietors, fine artists or performers, based in or around Madison and Dane County.
There will be Indie Awards given in eight categories:
- Market Spark: The nominees represent a new or established local business that has stepped out in front of the crowd, modeling innovative business practices.
- Fresh Food Friend: The nominees nourish a commitment to support and deliver local, sustainable food resources, through restaurant or retail channels.
- Green Angel: The nominees advocate for environmentally sustainable practices in their own local businesses and lifestyles, encouraging others to do the same.
- Heartland Hipster: The nominees are visual or performing artists who demonstrate a commitment to the community through their work, representing the best of the independent-minded creative class.
- Dynamic Developer: The nominees lead in building or adapting sustainable projects that provide economic and social benefits to the local community.
- Neighborhood Notable: The nominees demonstrate dedicated leadership and advocacy to make their communities successful and safe, directly benefiting their home turf.
- Bridge Builder: The nominees demonstrate the ability to bring together people with different points of view, connecting local communities to effect positive change.
- Dane and Beyond: The nominees reach beyond today's way of doing business. They mentor and help solve problems that block economic and community growth, encouraging innovation in Dane County and beyond.
It's easy and takes just a minute -- who will you nominate?
Nominations can be made online, or by mailing them to:
c/o Indies Awards
Heartland Credit Union
5325 High Crossing Blvd.
Madison, WI 53718
Nominations are open until September 24, 2010. The award presentation takes place on November 15 at Eldorado Grill.