The local, independent spirit is alive and well in Madison. The Isthmus Independent Business Awards were created to honor that spirit -- and really, Madison wouldn't be Madison without it.
For the fourth year, the Indies honor indispensable Madison movers and shakers, awarding creativity, innovation, sustainability and bold leadership. After reviewing the nominees, the judging committee has named the winners of the 2013 Isthmus Indies!
Here are the winners:
- Market Spark: The nominees are local businesses that have stepped out in front of the crowd modeling innovative practices. And the winner is... Angela Kowieski, Divine Body & Styles Organic Salon & Spa
- Fresh Food Friend: The nominees are committed to delivering local, sustainable food through restaurant or retail channels. And the winner is... Adrian Reif & Matt Dâ€™Amour, Yumbutter
- Green Angel: The nominees advocate for environmentally sustainable practices in their local businesses and lifestyles, encouraging others to do the same. And the winner is... Ann Sensenbrenner, Farm to Vase
- Hometown Artist: The nominees are visual or performing artists who demonstrate a commitment to the community through their work, representing the best of the independent-minded creative class. And the winner is... Meghan Blake-Horst, Absolutely Art
- Dynamic Developer: The nominees create sustainable projects that benefit the community. Ellen Barnard, FEED Kitchens
- Neighborhood Notable: The nominees demonstrate leadership in making their neighborhood and its businesses successful. And the winner is... Ian Gurfield, Ian's Pizza, Batch Bakehouse, Gotham Bagels
- Bridge Builder: The nominees bring together people with different points of view to effect positive change. And the winner is... Howard Mandeville, Movin' Out
- Dane and Beyond: The nominees use new technology to reach beyond today's way of doing business. They encourage innovation to connect Dane County with the world. And the winner is... Michael Fenchel, 100State
Winners will be featured in the cover story of Isthmus released on Thursday, Oct. 31. Awards will be presented Monday, Nov. 4, at the Madison Concourse Hotel, in a benefit for Dane Buy Local. Tickets are available at IsthmusIndies.com, as well as at Isthmus offices, 101 King St.
The 2013 Isthmus Independent Business Awards are sponsored by Monona State Bank, and presented by Isthmus Publishing Company, Inc., in cooperation with Dane Buy Local.