Urban Land Interests got its start restoring and converting historically significant downtown properties and gradually branched into new construction. Here are some highlights of the firm's 30-plus years in Madison.
Fire Station No. 2
301 Broom St.
A 1920 fire station was transformed into an 8,000-square-foot office building in 1980.
Doty School Condominiums
351 W. Wilson St.
A 1906 school was turned into 17 condos in 1982.
341 State St.
In 1982, the former Shell station site was developed into 32,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. Current tenants include the Gap, Casa de Lara and Community Pharmacy.
222 East Gorham
Urban Land developed this 8,400-square-foot building, which is now home to Pizzeria Uno and Bop, in 1984.
Lincoln School Apartments
720 E. Gorham St.
A 1915 elementary school designed by the noted architectural firm of Claude and Stark, which much later served as the home of the Madison Art Center, was converted into 28 apartments in 1985.
44 East Mifflin
In 1990, Urban Land added six floors on the old Emporium Department Store to create a 79,000-square-foot office building; two years later, it partnered with the Mullins Group to build an adjacent 473-stall parking ramp.
American Exchange Bank
1 N. Pinckney St.
The historic sandstone bank was renovated into a 12,000-square-foot office building in 1995.
Tobacco Lofts at Findorff Yards
738 Lorillard Ct.
Two buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places were converted into 61 loft apartments in 2006.