Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
The Daily


The Mecan River offers an appealing paddling daytrip

The forecast is worrisome. In the days leading up to a Saturday kayaxpedition on the Mecan River, it climbs from 40% to 60% chance of thunderstorms. On the eve of the daytrip, the radar animations show approaching cartoon doom. But a 60% chance of thunderstorms leaves a 40% chance of not thunderstorms, of missed opportunity. >More
 Putting a B-cycle bike through its paces in downtown Madison

On a B-cycle, what's the hurry? This would be a fine bike to cruise around a beachfront resort like, um, Madison's isthmus. Most excursions on Madison's B-Cycles will be for short errands and trips. >More
 Mad Rollin' Dolls make connections around the globe

The sound of bodies hitting bodies, knee pads slamming into concrete and small rubber wheels squealing reverberates through a converted warehouse as a crowd of nearly a thousand cheers wildly. It's opening night in the docklands of Copenhagen, as the women of the newly formed Copenhagen Roller Derby teams meet each other on the oval track. >More
 Bocce for all! Italian lawn bowling comes to McFarland

A bunch of Madison Curling Club members were talking about summer activities they might pursue as a complement to their ice time on the rink in McFarland. Curling veteran Bill Swanson remembers someone saying he had been so impressed by the bocce tournaments he saw during his travels that he hired a contractor to build a regulation bocce court in his backyard. >More
 Businesses compete, burn calories and save gas with Get Up and Bike Wisconsin Challenge

Bike to Work Week's popular Commuter Challenge has outgrown Bike to Work Week and split off to become the Get Up and Bike Wisconsin Challenge. With thousands of bicycle commuters competing last year in a statewide competition to claim Bike to Work Week mileage bragging rights, this may have been inevitable. >More
 Madison Bike to Work Week 2011 refuses to be contained in a single week!

Remember how Bike to Work Week got its start here as Bike to Work Day? It's happening again. With the 2011 edition designated for June 6-10, Madison's Bike to Work Week is extending beyond the bounds of that single work week to encompass the previous Friday. >More
 Computer geeks compete in feats of strength in Wirld's Mightiest Programmer competition

Hard to imagine many people taking pride in being called a wimp. Competing to be the top wimp sounds even more counterintuitive. Giovanni Pasteris is not many people. Standing a couple inches shy of six feet and tipping the scales in the neighborhood of 225 pounds, neither is he your everyday, run-of-the-mill, sand-kicked-in-his-face wimp. The veteran Human Head Studios video-game programmer and Ford's Gym regular is, in fact, the WiMP. The acronym stands for Wirld's Mightiest Programmer. >More
 Madison waits for its skatepark, while those in nearby towns thrive

Another skateboard season, and still no Madison skatepark. As enthusiasts flock to existing skateparks in smaller Dane County communities, the absence of one in Wisconsin's capital grows ever more conspicuous. >More
 Madison Winter Festival growing, diversifying for 2011

Since its establishment as a weekend of competitive and recreational cross-country skiing around the Capitol Square, the old Capitol Square Sprints have grown to encompass snowboarding, ice carving, a 5-kilometer run, cyclo-cross, snow-shoeing and other activities befitting a name change to Madison Winter Festival. >More
 Why Food & Wine is covering Madison's broomball scene

Around here, it tends to be a game you rally a bunch of friends and neighbors to play on a whim. Yet it can also turn serious, as it will Feb. 19, when the UW-Madison Broomball Tournament unfolds on Lake Mendota off the UW Memorial Union Terrace. >More
Select a Movie
Select a Theater

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar