There's once again anticipation as the downtown Madison restaurant landscape looks to experience major changes. If you haven't been keeping track, here's at least a partial rundown:
- L'Etoile is moving down the block to a new space in the US Bank building, better known as the "glass bank," and it will open a second restaurant there, to be called Graze Gastropub. Graze will have outdoor seating, weekend brunches, and continue L'Etoile's focus on local and sustainable food.
- Nostrano is the name for the new restaurant going into the old Peppino's space at 111 S. Hamilton, to be run by chefs Timothy and Elizabeth Dahl.
- The Underground Food Collective is renovating the former Cafe Montmartre for a new venture to be called Underground Kitchen and Deli at 127 E. Mifflin St.
- Francesca's, an Italian restaurant with multiple branches in suburban Chicago, is going into a space between Starbuck's and Ocean Grill on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
In addition to these high profile moves and openings, more is afoot in the campus area:
- Sweet Impressions is selling candies and cupcakes at 511 State Street.
- A new taco stop will be moving into the former art supply store space in the 600 block of University Avenue, near A-8 China.
- Quaker Steak and Lube is heading to the old Uno's at 222 W. Gorham.