MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
sweet corn sign
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Rating restaurants on how they treat their employees

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Rating restaurants on how they treat their employees

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm

An interfaith group has reviewed most restaurants in Madison and rated them on various ways they treat their workers. Seven received no stars.

WSJ story

Dining guide

Anyone thinking of using the guide before dining out?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rating restaurants on how they treat their employees

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

That was dumb. About 3/4 of them had question marks.

So to answer your question, no, I won't be using it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:37 pm

I noticed all those question marks too. I assume some restaurant owners didn't want to cooperate with the survey, mainly because they offer little in benefits to their employees.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Ah, time to go eat, might as well scroll through 30 pages of a non-searchable PDF to figure out where to eat.

I'm just happy the Plaza got good marks. All of those bartenders who took care of my friends and I during our college years deserve high wages.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Beaver » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:39 pm

They should have given a top 10 and bottom 10 list.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Merchant has issues with the methodology used. From their facebook page:

We want to let you know that worker's rights are important to us as an organization and we are constantly striving as an organization to treat all respectfully and fairly. While we support and respect all efforts to recognize responsible restaurant management, today, Merchant was misrepresented in the "Just Dining" Dining Guide, a joint project of the Workers’ Rights Center and the Interfaith Coa
lition for Worker Justice of South Central Wisconsin. We stand by our principles to provide best practices in the industry including: a minimum starting rate for ALL non-tipped employees over the Guide's benchmark of $8.75, all bartender, host, and daytime tipped employee wages above $3.62, and all Managers (we have 7) offered stipends for health insurance, unlimited paid sick days and vacation time.

Signed,
Joshua Berkson & Patrick Sweeney
Co-Owners, Merchant

Also a later comment from Merchant:

Merchant Hi Chad, Josh here. I couldn't let your post stand as this is an issue that we are passionate about, and maybe some background information will give you some more context. They pre-populated a mailed survey to us with information that was wrong (check checked all boxes but one "No"), and give us a short time to correct it, which defies any standard data collection / survey practices in the research world. As a business, we don't readily give out HR information to anyone who asks us, and they didn't talk to Patrick or myself over the phone. Moreover, just looking at their stated methodology described in the booklet, it says that they received only 68 survey from employers, and 308 employee responses across 139 restaurants -- that's 2.21 employee responses per restaurant on average -- an insufficient dataset to publish conclusions or statements about individual restaurants. This is simply an instance of an activist group using faulty methods to assert their agenda, which ironically, we wholeheartedly believe in to the core.

So I wouldn't be surprised if other places were ranked low that really shouldn't be. From what I've heard (very-second hand) Merchant is a very nice place to work. I certainly wouldn't want to support a place that did treat their employees unfairly, but I'm not sure this survey is the best way to determine that.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Yelp. Ever heard of it?

Merchant - and the others - should wear their low ratings from this wacky bs guide as a badge of honor.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Athena wrote: I certainly wouldn't want to support a place that did treat their employees unfairly, but I'm not sure this survey is the best way to determine that.

That guide is truly a piece of crap and misleading. I hope these businesses contact the press to set the record straight. Those groups have no right publishing such crap statistics.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Meade wrote:Yelp. Ever heard of it?

Sued For A Negative Yelp Review
"Scathing Yelp review may have come at a steep price."
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Sued For A Negative Yelp Review
"Scathing Yelp review may have come at a steep price."

**Warning** : Obnoxious Ad Wall.

I should know better than to click on a yahoo URL.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:37 pm

As a Madison restaurant owner with 16 employees, I too question many aspects of this study, as well as their assumptions of facts. The service industry is a difficult one to profit from, especially when just starting. I recognize how hard my staff works and do my best to help in many ways not listed (days off, cash advances, jail bail, letters to landlords, etc). I'd love to offer more, but it's not possible. Anyone who would judge their dining choices based on this list is a {following has been deleted on advice of council/dishwasher}.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews