MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Free H20, That Will Be $1

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby fennel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm always suspicious that donations via the Whole Foods cash registers are really going to the Club for Growths.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:08 pm

fennel wrote:I'm always suspicious that donations via the Whole Foods cash registers are really going to the Club for Growths.

They are. But that's an HPV research charity. 8)
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby oranger » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:50 pm

I just took a look outside. Everything is still covered in frozen water. It's all over the place. I am so sick of this frozen water all over the streets, the sidewalk, my car, my shoes, on top of roofs, on top of grass all over everthing. Sick I tell You! And guess what. It's free. It falls from the sky.

So if I take a number 1 in a toilet at one of these establishments am I going to be charged to flush? Should I just let it mellow?
oranger
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: madison, wi

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby kweetech » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:03 pm

to the OP..are you really that ignorant about water issues in our world? Wow...
And you know,city tap water isn't free..right? And you know there isn't an unlimited supply of clean fresh water, right?
Or are you really, really that stupid?
:facepalm:
kweetech
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:36 am

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 am

Dear, do I even need to respond to that? It's so fact laden that how could I possibly have a point?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:Dear, do I even need to respond to that? It's so fact laden that how could I possibly have a point?

Oh honey, don't worry your poor little head over it. You never really had a point to begin with.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 am

Oh sweetie, why don't you stick to thousands of posts taking the safe, politically correct side of every issue? Or snarky comments to those who dare question things.

Here's this week's list:

Michelle Shocked is a douche.
Gay marraige should be allowed.
No one really needs to own a machine gun.

While I agree with all three of these things, I prefer not to be a bore like you.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote: I prefer not to be a bore like you.

Ohhhh.
Now that I think about it, I agree.

You're being an entirely different kind of bore.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Seem to have caught your interest... and I've added more interest to discussing a topic than you've ever added in your 4000+ posts.

I get why people like you are necessary for a forum, but quantity is not quality.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby massimo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:07 pm

To my recent horror, I discovered that my dad MAY be a climate change denier (a fucking retired high school science teacher!). But whatever, I said "Ok, dad, fine, let's say that you're right. Now, what is your argument against conserving resources we know to be finite and expensive to produce and consume?" He conceded that there is no good argument FOR the increased consumption of finite resources.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby The Center Square » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:46 pm

As the Bathroom sign said in the basement of Badger Liquor a lifetime ago -
"ALL EMPLOYEES MUST WASH HANDS BEFORE RETURNING TO WORK, but we must conserve water - so just swish them around in the toilet when you are done. - MGMT"
The Center Square
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:29 pm

massimo wrote:To my recent horror, I discovered that my dad MAY be a climate change denier (a fucking retired high school science teacher!). But whatever, I said "Ok, dad, fine, let's say that you're right. Now, what is your argument against conserving resources we know to be finite and expensive to produce and consume?" He conceded that there is no good argument FOR the increased consumption of finite resources.


I actually agree with you on this point, that there is no good arguement for increased consumption of finite resources (though I'd argue whether potable water is technically a finite resource). However, with restaurants being one of the more wasteful industries that I can think of, placating on the water issue isn't even a drop in the bucket (or carafe even).

If they were really concerned with resources, they'd tell people to not order more food than they plan to eat. It probably takes thousands of gallons of water to prepare the food you ordered. If the one website I consulted is accurate (http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/sc1.html), if you leave a half a cup of coffee sitting at the end of dinner then you've wasted about 17 gallons of water (it takes 35 gallons to create on cup of coffee).
If you ordered a hamburger and left a bite on the plate, that's probably 250 gallons of water (4,000-18,000 gallons per hamburger).

But let's worry about the half glass of water on the table, because that water must be different....
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Therefore, let us waste water.

Because we can find examples of waste in other places, we shouldn't be conserving anything. And any food seller who thinks otherwise is an asshole. Or something. Anyway, they're bad.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby massimo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Well I suspect the goal of this was more to raise awareness than compensate for the wastefulness of the restaurant industry, and I'd say that mission was pretty well accomplished.

Really though, "restaurants being one of the more wasteful industries that I can think of"??
massimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Free H20, That Will Be $1

Postby rrnate » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:If they were really concerned with resources, they'd tell people to not order more food than they plan to eat. It probably takes thousands of gallons of water to prepare the food you ordered. If the one website I consulted is accurate (http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/sc1.html), if you leave a half a cup of coffee sitting at the end of dinner then you've wasted about 17 gallons of water (it takes 35 gallons to create on cup of coffee).
If you ordered a hamburger and left a bite on the plate, that's probably 250 gallons of water (4,000-18,000 gallons per hamburger).

But let's worry about the half glass of water on the table, because that water must be different....


Rhetorical ellipsis alert!

The difference, coffee, as you earlier made very, very clear, is that usually people don't PAY for the glass of water, and therefore, are a lot more likely to not consider it and/or waste it.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar