MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, January 28, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Italian?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 pm

Stomach wrote:Is Sole Y Sapori still open? I thought they closed.

According to the phone book, they're on Raymond Road now. Used to be where Bunky's now stands.

My advice: Stay waaaaay clear of this place, especially if you're carting kids along. I don't know if it's under the same ownership, but the few times I went there (I tried to give 'em benefit of the doubt) it took a fucking geologic age to get as much as a menu and glass of water in that slackhole. Here's a hint, future restaurateurs: Don't employ a "seat yourself" policy if you're such an inattentive ADHD loser that you can't even acknowledge your patrons with so much as a glance when they come in and look around anxiously.

The food wasn't too bad, though nothing stellar, but seriously, you could turn convert briquettes into diamonds in the time it takes to eat a meal there.

You've been warned.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:00 pm

yes, bunky's is the old sole sapori, i think some of the same owners are involved.
the location on raymond road is closed.

papa phils is ok, but i swear to god that porta bella is better and cheaper.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:13 pm

depinmad wrote:yes, bunky's is the old sole sapori, i think some of the same owners are involved.

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. If not, I'd venture said owner is not involved in the day-to-day operations of the place. The difference in service is night and day, in my experience.

the location on raymond road is closed.

Good. Fucking. Riddance.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:15 pm

it's true the service and attitude were ridiculous, but it was hard to beat their red sauce.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:39 pm

depinmad wrote:it's true the service and attitude were ridiculous, but it was hard to beat their red sauce.

Granted, they did have a pretty decent marinara (mine's better), which is something of a rare bird 'round these parts, Christ knows why.

Like I said, I had no real beef (heh) with their food, but it wasn't good enough to justify the wait in my opinion.

Never had a problem with Bunky's service or food. I give it a thumbs-up. I think the Porta Bella suggestion is also a good one. I'm pretty sure they have a kids' section on the menu. Might be wrong about that. Anyway it's a nice atmosphere and the food's good (though it doesn't hold a Roman candle to the best Chicago has to offer, IMO).
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:43 pm

it does have a kids menu, and a very classy atmosphere, which is why i'm always surprised when the bill comes and it's no big deal.
not fond of their marinara though, so i stick to the chicken and spinach pasta thing they do with the cheesy cheese sauce.

you're right though, nothing here comes close to really good italian.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:58 pm

depinmad wrote:not fond of their marinara though, so i stick to the chicken and spinach pasta thing they do with the cheesy cheese sauce.

Agreed.

you're right though, nothing here comes close to really good italian.

I'd say there are good dishes here and there (Lombardino's comes to mind), but there's no restaurant that really nails it across the board.

Why I can't get monster meatballs atop a mountain of pasta swimming in a vodka tomato sauce (or something similar--think Rosebud on Rush) is beyond me. Oh, and my lasagna kicks the ass of that of any kitchen in town. There should at least be a little competition on that front.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:26 pm

I was in Philly in Dec. and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great Italian place, why oh why must we be denied? On a completely unrelated note, since we have stayed on-topic far too long, is there anywhere in Madison to get cheesesteak? I've been craving one ever since I got back.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:51 pm

I think all the Sole Saporis are closed except for the one in Mt. Horeb. I used to go to the one on Raymond Rd. from time to time. I likeds the pizza, but the rest of the menu was pretty hit or miss. As chuck said, the service was pretty awful.

Still, I'd go there 100 times before I go back to Porta Bella. At least for the food (I kinda like their wine cellar). You'd be better off eating Chef Boyardee straight from the can than eating there.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Who's up for a Foron lasagna bake-off?

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:15 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote: Oh, and my lasagna kicks the ass of that of any kitchen in town. There should at least be a little competition on that front.

Better change that to 'best commercial kitchen in town,' my friend - unless you're calling me out.

And before you answer that let me just point out that I have been known to make the noodles for my lasagna from scratch.

Ready to match mix-masters with the master, young Food-I?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Who's up for a Foron lasagna bake-off?

Postby AmyW » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:59 pm

Marvell wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote: Oh, and my lasagna kicks the ass of that of any kitchen in town. There should at least be a little competition on that front.

Better change that to 'best commercial kitchen in town,' my friend - unless you're calling me out.

And before you answer that let me just point out that I have been known to make the noodles for my lasagna from scratch.

Ready to match mix-masters with the master, young Food-I?

Mix-master??? What are you two doing with those???
Pussy arms can't knead the dough?
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:03 am

Hey - thanks to all for the help. We ended up going to Papa Phil's. Papa Phil - if that's who greeted us - was pleasant, if a bit harried. The dipping sauce for the bread was a big hit with the visiting family (I enjoyed it but found it a little too sweet for my taste). Salads the traditional iceberg stuff, but crisp and fresh, good dressings. The pasta alfredo was also a big hit. The cheese ravioli less so. Pretty darn blah. We didn't try the desserts, alas, but had Ben & Jerry's back at my place. I think we will give Bunky's a try the next time they come - or Paisan's or Porta Bella.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby zelda » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:06 am

Oh! I forgot...speaking of mix-master contests, is there any place in town that I can purchase a crank handle thingy for my atlas pasta maker? Or do I have to send away for it? I seem to have lost mine.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:33 am

yeah that dipping dressing at papa phils is bizarrely sweet.
i should have recommended the dishes i like there: the homemade fried mozzarella cubes are exquisite, and the beef speidini is very nice.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:51 am

a bit of sugar cuts the acidity of the tomatoes in the sauce, he may have overdone it.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews