MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Old Fashioned Review

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby mildsauce04 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27 pm

I tried the Old Fashioned when I was home on spring break and loved it. The brat plate was delicious, especially with the dijon mustard on it. Also enjoyed the french onion soup (which the waitress forgot at first...).

I'll definitely be back there to try other things. The price was quite reasonable for the food and the atmosphere. I was a bit disappointed that they don't take reservations, we had to wait about an hour for a table. Overall, though, a great experience.
mildsauce04

Postby Ashley » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:55 pm

I am a little disappointed with the Old Fashioned. I went there for the first time and I liked the atmosphere and the house brew I ordered, but I honestly thought the mac & cheese I had was bad. The noodles were tough, the sauce was bland, and the bread crumb topping was gummy!

Perhaps it was just a one time thing, though....
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby Learned » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:52 am

Ashley wrote:I am a little disappointed with the Old Fashioned. I went there for the first time and I liked the atmosphere and the house brew I ordered, but I honestly thought the mac & cheese I had was bad. The noodles were tough, the sauce was bland, and the bread crumb topping was gummy!

Perhaps it was just a one time thing, though....

No, that describes my experience the 2-3 times I've ordered that dish. It just seems like it has so much potential. I guess you can't 'elevate' mac+cheese+ring bologna.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:39 am

I like their mac & cheese well enough, but it could use a little less cheddar-ness. I've never found the noodles tough or the topping gummy.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:47 am

mildsauce04 wrote:, we had to wait about an hour for a table. Overall, though, a great experience.

if it wasn't for that time you never would have figured out what was in an old fashioned.
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:03 am

rezin wrote:if it wasn't for that time you never would have figured out what was in an old fashioned.

I haven't been there for about a year, but at the time I "figured out" that there was not much booze in the old fashioned - are the drinks still weak?
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby rezin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:27 am

[quote="DedeTateI haven't been there for about a year, but at the time I "figured out" that there was not much booze in the old fashioned - are the drinks still weak?[/quote]

i honestly have no idea, i don't normally drink much because i can't stand the taste and that night i only had 1 citron and lemonade. no idea how strong it was, tasted good though
rezin
Forum Addict

Re: OF

Postby purple*fox » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:18 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
zsa zsa wrote:I don't like how they run their lunches (no table service)
I second that.
I third that.
purple*fox

Re: OF

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:04 am

purple*fox wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
zsa zsa wrote:I don't like how they run their lunches (no table service)
I second that.
I third that.

They do have table service in every regard except taking your order and paying. It's pretty strange...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:35 pm

I was told by the waitress that Budweiser is one of their imported beers. Isn't that cute :roll: I went for lunch and service was excellent. I didn't mind paying in advance. It works when you are in a time crunch at noon.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:27 pm

I ate at the Old Fashioned for the first time the other night. The meal was pretty good, my only criticism is about dessert. My friends and I were all excited to see apple pie with sharp cheddar cheese on the menu, but were disappointed when it arrived and the pie was COLD. Not lukewarm, not room temperature, but COLD. This made the slice of cheese that was on top hard and crumbly, so it was tough to eat with the pie. Who eats cold apple pie!!? (except maybe for breakfast, but that is a whole other thread).

It was a delicious looking crumbly crust on top and would have been delicious I think if it had been warm, but since it was cold the filling was all congealed and gummy. Blech.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:43 pm

bassbari wrote:I was told by the waitress that Budweiser is one of their imported beers. Isn't that cute :roll:

She may have been correct if it was the original Budweiser. Pretty unlikely, though, from what I've heard of the place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:34 pm

If you look at the drink menu on the website, it lists Budweiser and Bud Light under "Imports." I definitely don't think they mean the original, either.
Hmmmm......
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:37 pm

I think they're being sly or wry, or perhaps coy, about the fact that Budweiser calls Missouri, not Milwaukee, "home."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:20 am

Beer outside Wisco is an import. It IS a Wisconsin bar/restaurant afterall.

I like paying in advance too, faster, and I don't have much time over lunch.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews