MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, August 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Antojitos el Toril (the new Mexican place on Cottage Grove)

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby cubanat » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:20 pm

Good post bellweather. Abuelitos is going to fall into your chipotle/mc d's category but only more $$. Pelayos is great with some of their stuff, ok with other things. Try Antojitos again before writing it off--my meals there were superb--luckily I haven't had a bad meal there yet...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:10 pm

Abuelo's is pretty similar to Casa De Lara, but without CDL's tasty fish fajitas or occasionally delightful live singing. On the up side, abuelo's has some tasty weird side dishes like cholesterol-infused spinach. Hm... I wonder if they are still serving that...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:15 pm

Just popping in to say that you can get an abbreviated take-home menu at Antojitos el Toril now. It doesn't have the burritos or tortas on it, but they're there.

It smells great in there. Just picked up a menu, though, I haven't get anything to eat yet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Antojitos el Toril (the new Mexican place on Cottage Gro

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:48 pm

cubanat wrote:This place was awesome. Small, clean, and delicious-what more could you ask for on a Monday afternoon? For $5.25 I got a plate of tacos garnished with limes, ruby-red radishes & peeled cucumbers! The steak was lean and tasty, the pork was marinated in a mild red sauce, and the chorizo was perfectly greasy (not overly dripping out) and the tastiest of the three. I also got a pork gordita that was masterfully put together with tender bits of pork. shredded queso blanco & real Mexican crema placed in a lightly fried corn bun that was warm, crisp, and just beautiful! The chips were fresh & thick cut. I liked the tomatillo salsa better than the salsa rojo and the horchata was the best I've had in the state. In all the meal came to just over $11 for the 3 tacos, 1 gordita, and 2 glasses of horchata (plus free chips & salsas to start). My new favorite Mexican restaurant in Madison, hands down. Pelayos is now my 2nd. Pastor drops to 3rd.

Well, I didn't mean to get the exact same tacos as you, cubanat, but I did. I agree that the chorizo was the best of the three, but I was less than impressed with the steak. It was lean, and it was well-cooked, but compared to the cilantro, radish, cucumber and lime juice, it was easily the most bland part of the dish.

Three tacos, none of which skimped on the meat, and the enchiladas rojas (there are four healthy-sized enchiladas in this dish, which is also tasty), taken out, came to $12. Definitely a deal.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:58 pm

The last few times I have gone there I have found the tacos almost to lean and not greasy enough. They are almost too healthy. I use a bunch of the salsa verde and the radish and cucumbers add so much. To balance out the healthy tacos with bad I usually get a nice fried gordita. I think they might be using too high quality meats that are too lean. Thier agua jamiaca & horchata rule over all others in town.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:51 am

cubanat wrote:The last few times I have gone there I have found the tacos almost to lean and not greasy enough. They are almost too healthy. I use a bunch of the salsa verde and the radish and cucumbers add so much. To balance out the healthy tacos with bad I usually get a nice fried gordita. I think they might be using too high quality meats that are too lean. Thier agua jamiaca & horchata rule over all others in town.

Well, as long as they're not dry, I can handle lean. Rather have that than all fat and gristle.

I assume that the horchata is still by request only (it wasn't on the menu).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:13 am

yes still by request as with the agua de jamaica as well.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:14 am

yes still by request as with the agua de jamaica as well.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby morriskatze » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:07 am

Bellwether wrote:I don't consider Chili's to be Mexican (and my partner looks at me like I'm from another planet when I say so).

I agree with you - see their history: http://www.chilis.com/history.php

They started out in Dallas with burgers, chili and tacos. Now that they also serve things like ribs, artichoke dip and Asian lettuce wraps, how can someone mistake them for Mexican?
morriskatze

Re: Antojitos el Toril (the new Mexican place on Cottage Grove)

Postby keelio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Not quite 'the new Mexican place on Cottage Grove Road', but I'm ashamed to admit my first visit was this past Sunday night. Ashamed especially since I live just a few miles east, and have no compunction about driving to the west side of Madison for Mexican food. Suffice to say, I'll be saving a lot of time and gas money from here on in. We really enjoyed it. Food was very good, very reasonably priced and our server was very friendly. Being our first time there, we played it pretty safe - enchiladas verdes and enchiladas rojas, both the veggie version. So enchiladas verdes were avocado filled, and enchiladas rojas were queso fresca filled. Instead of drowning in enchilada sauce, the tortillas were dipped in the respective sauces and rolled, then topped with sour cream, shredded iceberg & grated queso fresca. Very yummy and plenty on the plate - 4 enchiladas - for $6.99/serving. A plate of refritos & arroz are a bit extra, and both were fine. Add a couple Pacificos, free basket of chips & salsas, and I think the total was about half what we'd give elsewhere. So when the hankerin' for Mexican hits, this will be our destination.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews