MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Tutto Pasta - Middleton Location

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Tutto Pasta - Middleton Location

Postby cattyr » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:57 pm

So, had lunch there today. I've never eaten at the downtown location, so won't be able to compare the two. This is my first trip so also not much depth is possible.

When seated (promptly) we were brought a basket of pretty good bread, at least it suited my taste, but there was only one kind, I prefer a selection. Olive oil tasty, though I am no connoisseur - but I was surprised it had as much flavor as it did for the color it was. No parm on table. :( (Though they came w/fresh parm for entrees.) I took a long time for our server to get our order, but there were quite a few large tables seated so I can overlook that.

There was a fabulous-sounding special, which they were out of - I nearly wept - round ravioli stuffed with duck w/some kind of Grand Marnier association, carmalized onions and wild mushrooms w/fresh herbs and a cognac/brown butter sauce. Paraphrasing so I might not have gotten it all perfectly but you get the drift. Priced only $8.95, alas we will never know if it lived up to it's billing. At least the server knew they were out and saved me further agony. Replaced my order with (don't shoot!) Veal Piccata. (It's a weakness of mine.)

The first piece of veal I put in my mouth was almost inedible it was so tough, though it tasted fine. As I progressed through the slices some were tough and some tender, WTF? The sauce was delicious, perfect consistency, lovely lemony with lots of nice-sized capers. It was served with an angel-hair pasta with a simple garlic/olive oil treatment, which was a nice complement to the veal, though it was just pretty good, not fabulous.

Co-worker (here from SLC and in my experience not a very picky eater) had Fettucine Alfredo, which she said "tasted like they forgot an ingredient." Not enough garlic?, I asked. "Yes! That's it!." Now, to me any restaurant that has the word "Pasta" in it's name should have that one down.

Side note: (who does this, esp. BEFORE an Italian meal?) co-worker ordered hot chocolate, I was amazed, they had it. Server asked if she wanted whipped cream, which I thought a nice touch, and the presentation was very nice in a glass mug with dark chocolate syrup drizzled lightly on the whipped cream.

Our server was friendly enough at the table, but she wasn't there very often. By the time we were eating the crowd had thinned out considerably, but at no point did she return to ask how everything was or to replenish water glasses.

Kristina was expensing so I didn't see the final bill, my veal was $10.95 (very generous portion) and I think her fettucine was a couple bucks less, maybe more that that.

With the dearth of independent restaurants in this area I will return, no doubt, though the next time will probably determine whether I will continue to do so.

Still lamenting not getting to try that ravioli, but if they have great-sounding specials like that all the time, I think definitely worth checking out again.

I think it was TAsunder who had the awful stories about about bugs, etc., at the downtown one? Nothing like that in evidence, though I admit I was a little leery of taking Kristina there knowing the history!

Bottom line: Give'em a chance, we need more local restos out here.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm

I like Tutto Pasta on King Street. Quite a bit, actually. I prefer their food to the average grub at Cafe Continental across the street anyday.
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby northwoods_babe » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:22 pm

I'm not a regular at Tutto Pasta, but I made it one of my downtown hangouts during the World Cup and had quite a good time depleting their supply of sangria.

The pasta is pretty good--huge portions. My only complaint is that after ordering my dinner, the server asked if I wanted soup or salad. I chose soup and much to my surprise, and when I received the bill, I was charged extra for it. When I inquired about the extra charge to the server, she told me that soups and salads were not included with the price of the dinner. Beware!
northwoods_babe

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:47 pm

northwoods_babe wrote: My only complaint is that after ordering my dinner, the server asked if I wanted soup or salad.

If the menu doesn't state "All entrees are served with your choice of soup or salad", and your server poses the question, "would you like soup or salad with that?", then ask "is that al carte?" if you mind being charged extra for the soup or salad.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:20 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
northwoods_babe wrote: My only complaint is that after ordering my dinner, the server asked if I wanted soup or salad.

If the menu doesn't state "All entrees are served with your choice of soup or salad", and your server poses the question, "would you like soup or salad with that?", then ask "is that al carte?" if you mind being charged extra for the soup or salad.

Where I've worked, if it wasn't made very clear that there was a charge for something that might reasonably be expected to be included, the server had to make that clear, however delicately. If ever there were any doubt, the benefit would fall to the customer -- amidst profuse apologies. The last thing a respectable restaurant needs is doubt about its professionalism. But, hey, a restaurant called Tutto Pasta in condo-land? I can't say I would expect much. And if it's associated with the Tutto Pasta on State street in Madison, I'd have to say "Expect the worst."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tutto Pasta - Middleton Location

Postby tibor » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:00 pm

cattyr wrote:Give'em a chance, we need more local restos out here.

Absolutely. Did you see Roman Candle is opening up a location just a block away?
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:25 am

I'd forgotten about that! Anyone heard when they plan to open? Nothing about it on their site. I wonder if they will deliver, that would so rawk.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:46 pm

Ate at the Middleton Tutto Pasta about two weeks ago and was not very impressed. The bread and olive oil/balsamic vinegar was an improvement over Griglia Tuscany, but the sauces on both my and my wife's pasta were bland and the portions were not very large. Don't think we'll be going back.

It's too bad because I love the interior of that restaurant.
barreg

Tutto Pasta - don't even bother - and here's why!

Postby ewok69 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Don't even bother with Tutto Pasta.

I lived in Madison for 12 years and even worked for several restaurants in the area over the years. Of course, I even worked for them as well.

Here's why you shouldn't bother. Not to mention that their cuisine is mediocre at best, the place is filthy (At least at the two downtown locations). If cockroaches and mice are your cup of tea, then by all means, go for it. But for the rest of us who value their health, I would advise against it.

And when I say a pest problem, I mean customers used to even find them in their food.
ewok69

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews