MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Curry in a Box - Another Fitchburg Find!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Curry in a Box - Another Fitchburg Find!

Postby cubanat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Upon entering I thought it looked like a small noodles & company outpost but upon tasting the veggie samosas and green curry beef envy I was hit with awesome flavors and textures that no chain is hitting on. I went at an off-hour, so I think there was only one employee to ring in transactions with and she also might have been cooking. Hats off to her and whomever else is responsible for this taste treat. Now I have to choose between La Concha or Curry/Box when I'm in the F-burg area. Any other treats that I haven't found yet? Let me know...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby sydgrl » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:46 pm

My husband and I work in Fitchburg and we LOVE Curry in the Box. I haven't had a bad meal yet. My standbys are the mixed veggie curry and Chicken karee. Both have a mild-ish yellow curry sauce. My stomach has gotten more sensitive over the years, so I can eat the really spicy stuff any longer. But, my hubby asks for spicier and they oblige.

I really wish that they got more business. At least my perception is that they're not very busy. Many times when we are there during what should be the lunch rush, there are never more than 2-3 tables full. Maybe lots of people get take out, I don't know. But we want them to stay, so everyone come on down and give them a try. :lol:
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:27 pm

The quality of the food alone should keep this place packed. I forgot to say how clean and well-maintained the place was. It really is a gem for that area. Support it or else it may become another Starbucks or Taco Bell.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Uh oh, Cube! Your favorite local website found Curry in the Box almost a year ago, and they really liked it!

Give their review a shot. It's got some interesting tidbits for you.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:23 am

Yeah, they were awesome when they were in University Square. I haven't been out to the new location yet (although I'm kicking myself for that) I'm sure they still rock.

I remember talking to the owner about the food. He personally crafted each dish and tweaked it to optimum awesomeness, inspired by his father's cuisine back home. The guy knows his curries and his expertise shined through in everything, even if it was under $4.

Actually, looking over the new menu (although I don't see my old favorite dish) I think I need to find an excuse to drive out to Fitchburg. Cubanat, thanks for reminding me about this nearby gem.

BTW, if you're not already salivating over this place, their website is http://www.curryinthebox.com/
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:54 am

So this place is primarily (or exclusively) take-out, I presume?
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:10 am

Wait, is this the same place as curry in a hurry? Because if so, I'll pass and not look back, that place was abysmal.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:15 am

TAsunder wrote:Wait, is this the same place as curry in a hurry? Because if so, I'll pass and not look back, that place was abysmal.

Sort of, but not entirely.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:49 am

New chef I hope? Curry in a hurry was extremely bland, really greasy, and just not very good.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:09 am

I thought this thread was going to be about a YouTube video...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sydgrl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:25 am

TAsunder wrote:New chef I hope? Curry in a hurry was extremely bland, really greasy, and just not very good.

Hm...I can't speak to whether the chef is new or not. We haven't found any of the dishes we've tried to be greasy at all. Blandness is in the tastebuds of the taster, I suppose. I would give it a try if you're in the 'hood. If you think it sucks, let us know. :)
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby cattyr » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:46 am

IIRC, I think from Madison A to Z, the Curry in a Hurry people sold their recipes to the owners of Curry in a Box. Seems strange, but I believe that was the case.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:55 pm

"Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business. People come from all over to eat this."

</jerk>
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:59 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about a YouTube video...

This post is hysterical. Seriously, no sarcasm. Thanks also to BookPolice again for the link. I read it in person while I was waiting for my food (which looking back was a long time considering..) but really the place is good. The owners are the former cooks like the last post said. This food was not greasy in the least, even the fried samosas were simply crispy & golden. Well worth a visit if you like Thai/Indian fusion eats.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:06 pm

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews