MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Hong Kong Wok experience...

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Hong Kong Wok experience...

Postby dstol62 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:32 pm

Many of you are probably familiar with this place, which is nestled in a little corner of Hilldale Mall next to Quiznos. Although my initial reaction was, "another fast food option", I quickly realized that more than half of the patrons were Chinese, and many with the whole family. I ordered a large bowl of wonton soup with fishballs, including the optional hofun noodles, which are wide and flat. I was given a number and sat at a table. The wait was about twenty minutes long, but they were at near capacity. Eventually an eldery fellow appeared with what can only be described as a behemoth bowl filled with the above ingredients plus a nice serving of broccoli. I added about two tablespoons of their complimentary red pepper condiment sauce, and proceeded. Some twenty five minutes later, I was sweating and staring at an empty bowl, secure in the knowledge that my "sinus cold" had met it's match.

None of the items was over ten dollars. I'll be back soon for round two.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:06 pm

i know what you mean about lots of chinese people eating there, but after four or five attempts, i've never come close to being impressed by their food.
on the other hand, after years of avoiding wah kee noodle restaurant for no good reason, two recent trips have delighted me with their huge wonton noodle soup meals. the bbq pork i get in mine is sweet and delicious, and the wontons are delightfully delicate and shrimp filled.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 am

HKW is one of those places where it really seems like you need to know what to order. A lot of their stuff does sort of have that "chinese fast food" feel to it, although as chinese fast food goes, it's pretty decent.

Their weekend congee menu, though, is nice. You can get your congee with preserved egg and sliced pork, or with "beef stew", or various bits of seafood...that particularly seems very popular with the native patrons, and they often run out of congee before 2pm.

all in all, it's not great superfabulous chinese food, but for $5 it's a fairly tasty option.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews