MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Rating Madison's Mediocre Pizza

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:40 am

cattyr wrote:Fair warning Rosemary - Cheap Trick can do no wrong in these parts.

And they want you to want them.

Fair warning to you: I grew up west of Rockford, where Cheap Trick is near-venerated, where I've seen Rick Nielsen in the local grocery stores, and where they even designed a friggin' hockey jersey for the IceHogs, for crying out loud... and I have NEVER liked their music. Never. I'll agree with forons about good eats, but when it comes to Cheap Trick, never the twain shall meet.

I want them to ditch the checkerboard graphics!
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:44 am

Rosemary wrote: I want them to ditch the checkerboard graphics!
What on Earth for?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:16 am

The way Madison scensters have no particular regard for Garbage or I, Who grew up in Pittsbugh, don't have much time for Donny Iris, the Iron City House Rockers or (especially) Rusted Root, for that matter-can see how someone from Rockford would also be sick of the Cheap Trick mystique.

That said: keep in mind that thier mix of New wave, Buzz saw guitar, Arena rock, and Off-kilter lyrics is still generally held up as being not only inovative but also something uniquely midwestern by those of us who care about such things.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:27 am

I am NOT particularly a fan of pizza. I do not understand some people's obsession with it.

That having been said, I DO really, really, really like Palermo's Ultra Thin Crust Pizzas...particularly the 5 Cheese and the Margharita. Crisp and delicious, simple but effective.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:53 am

GenieU wrote:I, [w]ho grew up in Pittsbugh, don't have much time for Donny Iris.

You wouldn't be saying that if love had rocked you.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:32 pm

Marvell wrote:
GenieU wrote:I, [w]ho grew up in Pittsbugh, don't have much time for Donny Iris.

You wouldn't be saying that if love had rocked you.

And thats why I had to leave PGH.

I mean Donny's alright, even a little witty at times (eg: The Rapper)but I just don't thrill to it...Kind of a poor man's Bruce Springsteen-minus the Poetry!

The slick version of "Blue Moon" that you always hear was done by a Pittsburgh Doo-Wop group called the Marcels. And one of these days I'll actually bother to get into the garage rock that allegedly thrived there in the 60s...we had some decent post-punk but nothing the likes of which the Twin Cities can boast.

Pittsburgh (Like Milwaukee, the city that it is probably the most simlilar to here in WI) does have a large Italian-American population and as a result has good Pizza, by and large, although I'm sure there's bad stuff as well.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:54 pm

GenieU wrote:That said: keep in mind that thier mix of New wave, Buzz saw guitar, Arena rock, and Off-kilter lyrics is still generally held up as being not only inovative but also something uniquely midwestern by those of us who care about such things.

Point taken. At my age (nearly 29), Cheap Trick has always been a band on Rockford's classic rock stations; while I enjoy a fair amount of classic rock, my enjoyment just isn't extended to Cheap Trick. I can appreciate how they've contributed to Midwestern culture... I just had a knee-jerk reaction.

I'm going to sit and think of the musicians from my youth (ahem) that correspond to Cheap Trick for those a bit older than me. Hmmm...

Oh, and Prof Wag: why? I'm not sure. It just bugs the hell out of me.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:00 pm

GenieU wrote:Madison scensters

There's a word I haven't added to my vocabulary. Out of curiosity, how do you define scenester?
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Ster modifies scene just as it does in gangster, prankster, hipster, and cheap trickster.

I'm with Aaron, but I always go for the Greek thin crust Palmero. If ya crave olive oil, that's your mediocre pizza.

Cheap Trick had a pretty incredible sound for their time.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:43 pm

GenieU wrote: The slick version of "Blue Moon" that you always hear was done by a Pittsburgh Doo-Wop group called the Marcels.

The Marcels never got the fair shake they deserved (like so many doo-wop groups, especially ones with a hint of novelty to them) - there's plenty more to recommend them than just that one hit. And Pittsburgh birthed a bunch of classic vocal groups back in the day - The Skyliners ("Since I Don't Have You") and The Del Vikings ("Come Go With Me") being foremost in my mind.

And wasn't Betty Davis from Pittsburgh?
'Cuz that's cool.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Rosemary wrote:
GenieU wrote:Madison scensters

There's a word I haven't added to my vocabulary. Out of curiosity, how do you define scenester?

People who make a point of hanging out in and around independent bands, as opposed to "normal" people who by and large will be in bed at 10:30 P.M.
Some, but by no means all of us will be at the King Club tonight if you're still curious.

Betty Davis? I dunno. Gene kelly went to my High school, however.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pantherboy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Then, for hilarious late-80's thrash metal that was waaaaay over the top (and not as bad as a lot of other bands in that era), I give you Pittsburgh's Holocross:

http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/Holocross.html
Pantherboy
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:57 pm

GenieU wrote:Betty Davis? I dunno. Gene kelly went to my High school, however.

No, no ... not Bette Davis ...

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:And wasn't Betty Davis from Pittsburgh?

Not sure if she's from there in the sense of having been born there, but I'm pretty sure that's where she cut her funk chops.

Damn but I love that album. Talk about crimes of out-of-printedness ...
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Fast and mediocre

Postby rainmanulty » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:35 pm

Jack's canadian bacon or cheeseburger pizza, always on sale for about $2, ready in under 12 minutes. You can eat half of it hot, leave it out and eat the other half for a snack later. Tasty 1300 calories.
rainmanulty

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews