MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Ella's Deli prices

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Ella's Deli prices

Postby Cory Schmidt » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:32 pm

The draw is definitely the atmosphere (our son loves it) rather than the food. I've been there twice and both times no one in the group got anything exceptional. What really irks me is their prices.

My wife, son and I were just there tonight. Our order was nothing out of the ordinary. I had a reuben combo, she had a baked potato of some sort and our son had something off of the kids menu ($3). We also had two sodas. With tip it came to $32.

My reuben was pretty small, almost tiny, yet cost $7.75. Add mashed potatoes and two forkfuls of coleslaw for $1.85 and the total for my food was $9.60.
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:58 pm

By your calculations that must have been one expensive baked potato! Did they add right?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Ella's Deli prices

Postby Madisonianne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:32 am

I was at Ella's just this past Sunday and was also surprised at the prices for what I would consider a family restaurant ("mid-scale"). I also had the Ruben, ala carte, then added a side of onion rings and a cherry coke...the total was over $10 before tax and tip. While I will say the quality (taste) was great - I love Ella's onion rings! - I didn't feel it was a good value for the money.
Madisonianne

Postby @wood » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:51 am

It's called inflation. It is hard to find a decent meal at a restaurant under $8 + tip, even for lunch, unless you're willing to eat fast, premanufactured food. The cost to run a restaurant is very high, especially when you have a huge electric bill to run all the gadgets. The reality is that wages have not kept up with the rise in prices for many things we covet.
@wood
Forum Addict

Postby Cory Schmidt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:00 am

cubanat wrote:By your calculations that must have been one expensive baked potato! Did they add right?

It wasn't just a baked potato - it was covered in cheese (looked like Velveeta) and other things. I don't know that exact price but the bill was correct.
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby Madisonianne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:03 am

The cost to run a restaurant is very high, especially when you have a huge electric bill to run all the gadgets

I can't argue this - won't even try! And I will admit that 1/2 the reason I went to Ella's was because I had friends in from out-of-town and I wanted them to see what I would call a Madison landmark (how long has Ella's been there, anyway? I've lived here my entire life and can't remember a time Ella's [i]wasn't there...[/i]); it's a very cool place to go because of all the gadgets, knick-knacks, and collectibles. And yes, they thoroughly enjoyed the experience! ;)
Madisonianne

Re: Ella's Deli prices

Postby cubanat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Madisonianne wrote:I was at Ella's just this past Sunday and was also surprised at the prices for what I would consider a family restaurant ("mid-scale"). I also had the Ruben, ala carte, then added a side of onion rings and a cherry coke...the total was over $10 before tax and tip. While I will say the quality (taste) was great - I love Ella's onion rings! - I didn't feel it was a good value for the money.

That doesn't seem that expensive! I don't know about the portions that you received but that seems pretty average. A reuben is a hearty snadwich, say $7, then soda $2 plus onion rings for what $4--you did ok I think. Where are you eating that this seems oit of line expensive? (for the record, Ellas food is just bad!)
cubanat
Forum Addict

Re: Ella's Deli prices

Postby Cory Schmidt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:33 pm

cubanat wrote:That doesn't seem that expensive! I don't know about the portions that you received but that seems pretty average. A reuben is a hearty snadwich, say $7, then soda $2 plus onion rings for what $4--you did ok I think. Where are you eating that this seems oit of line expensive? (for the record, Ellas food is just bad!)

I know you aren't responding to me but since the meal described is similar to what I had...

It is $7.75 just for the sandwich. It is very small and definitely not a meal on its own. To get a pickle, a miniscule serving of coleslaw and an average side (mashed potatoes with gravy that tasted like it came out of a pouch in my case) you need to spend an additional $1.85. $9.60 is more, by $1-2, than I've paid for a reuben with sides anywhere else in Madison. Add to that the fact that it just isn't good and the price is very high in my opinion.
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby Madisonianne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Where are you eating that this seems oit of line expensive?

My favorite lunch spot is The Olive Garden - love the all-you-can-eat soup and salad....complete with an endless supply of breadsticks. Mmmmm! I think it's $5.99 - add a soda, tax, and tip it's about $10. I'd say that's a pretty good value, especially since it's all-you-can-eat.

Both Red Robin and TGI Fridays has huge chicken sandwiches that are good - with soda (because the sandwich already comes with fries...bottomless at Red Robin). I usually pay around $10, too.

Okay, so that's probably about average for a decent lunch (non-fast food)...but there is a huge difference between the portions at these 3 restaurants vs. the portions at Ella's. (And what do you mean the food there is just bad!?! Their onion rings are to die for!)

Suddenly, I'm very hungry...
Madisonianne

Postby blunt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:53 pm

They have always been incredibly expensive.
I just figured it was for electricity to keep all the goofy shit going.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:55 pm

Not that I'm passing judgement on you per say but until you realize that where you choose to eat has dire implicatons on your local "community" maybe you should post on a different site. If you don't care about locally owned businesses and that Madison has a "flavor" that is different than say Toledo or Yonkers then by all means save your money by dining at a trucked in/boil in bag chain feeding pen that is your very own Olive Garden, red robin, TGIFridays, etc etc. I know I'm coming off sounding like an ass but c'mon folks help me out here. Someone that is nicer please explain to Madisonianne what the deal is...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Cory Schmidt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:57 pm

cubanat wrote:Not that I'm passing judgement on you per say but until you realize that where you choose to eat has dire implicatons on your local "community" maybe you should post on a different site. If you don't care about locally owned businesses and that Madison has a "flavor" that is different than say Toledo or Yonkers then by all means save your money by dining at a trucked in/boil in bag chain feeding pen that is your very own Olive Garden, red robin, TGIFridays, etc etc. I know I'm coming off sounding like an ass but c'mon folks help me out here. Someone that is nicer please explain to Madisonianne what the deal is...

I agree but that doesn't mean I will continue to eat at a mediocre (at best) place that is overpriced just because it is local.
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby Madisonianne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:05 pm

Someone that is nicer please explain to Madisonianne what the deal is...

cubanat, I know what the deal is - I was merely responding to a question asked of me (that being, "Where are you eating that this seems oit of line expensive?" The fact that I eat in chain restaurants doesn't make me disloyal to this - er...my - community - nor does feeling that I could have gotten a better value for my dollar at Ella's.

As for your suggestion to post on a different site, thanks but I think I'll pass on that one...
Madisonianne

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:08 pm

Boy, Madisonianne, did you pick the wrong thread to puff up The O.G.

Dmitri's. Maharaja. Market Street Diner (if you're willing to jump down the road a bit). Madtowne Chicken. The forthcoming Takumi. The forthcoming El Pescador (formerly Las Palmas).

All are local joints, with diverse offerings, that are reasonably priced. I have either heard or experienced good things about all the currently-open establishments.

Really, in terms of chain food (which I eat now and then, and I'm sure cubanat eats from time to time), there is no place more overpriced than Olive Garden.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madisonianne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:28 pm

Wow, it seems that one's loyalty to this community is tied to which restaurants one chooses! I'm sorry, but I can think of better ways to gauge a person's loyalty, dedication, and love for a community...I vote - does that count for anything??? I've lived here my entire life, I pay taxes, I have been a community advocate...there's a reason I chose the name "Madisonianne"!

But, since it seems to matter so much to some of you, I happen to eat at Dimitri's a few times a month (sorry, Gus - the Parthenon is too far from me now to be convenient!), not to mention the a few locally-owned taverns where my friends and I gather for an occasional lunch or dinner...Gee, now I really miss Bev's and Burrito Hut *sniffle*.

Now, has anyone read my other posts on this thread? I actually had good things to say about Ella's in my review, which - if I'm not mistaken - is what this thread was originally about...am I right?

Am I un-grounded now?
Madisonianne

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews