MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

New Chef & Menu at Nams

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

New Chef & Menu at Nams

Postby cubanat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:27 am

You know I liked certain things at Nam's Noodles on Regent, well now they have a new chef that does Chinese food as well as Vietnamese. You must check out the new menu. http://www.namsnoodles.com
It seems like it will give the place on Sherman some competition. The pea tips sound great as does half the menu.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Just got back from lunch and all I can say is WOW! They were busy so I won't criticize the slow kitchen and lax service mainly because the food was that good. The crispy skin chicken (#N59) was easily the best chicken dish I have had in this town hands down. Not greasy at all just crispy skin and succulent moist meat with great clean flavor-served with those old-school pastel colored 'shrimp' crisps. The Mandarin Style sweet & sour pork chop (#N28) is what in NY is called Pork Chop Peking Style. Fried thin cutlets of pork coated in a dark mahagony colored sauce flavored with Worcesthire sauce. Pure heaven if you like this un-healthy type of dish. When I saw Pan Fried Pea tips (#N212) on the menu I thought they would be what in NY is called "Dum Yen" (spelling is off here but that is how it's pronounced)--baby pea shoots sauteed in a clean & light tasting garlic oil. Sadly to say this is not what we got --instead was a large mound of what tasted like adult pea tops or tips off of the plant after the pea pods are harvested I assume. Not quite as tasty as the shoots are but very close just not as tender. Still a perfect healthier dish to go with our 2 other dishes. $32 bucks before tips with leftovers & 1 soda. New favorite Chinese restaurant that also serves some decenyt Vietnamese dishes like Phos, spring rolls, & wings to die for, not to mention awesome Nam's Fried Rice (#29) that also is sicy heaven on a plate. Make sure if you eat in to get the new menu that has both cuisines on it. There old menu of just Vietnamese was awesome looking as well but it's missing the Chinese stuff. 1336 Regent St./608/287/0475--open from 11 am to 9:30 during the week and 10pm on Fri & sat. Enjoy this treasure!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby slaparat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:09 pm

I hope it's better than it was before... I always wanted to like it, but couldn't. Haven't been there for a few years because the last time was so awful we renamed scale: "on a scale from nam's to ten".
slaparat

Postby NullDevice » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:58 am

How's the service? Every time I've been there it's either been god-awfully slow, they've screwed up my order (they delivered my meat-filled spring rolls to the vegetarian table next to us, for example) or both.

Have they improved this at all? A new menu is grand, but if they don't bring you what you ordered in a fiarly timely fashion, it's all for naught...
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rachelz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:38 am

I might try it again, but I went there for pho last year and it was terrible. I've been ranking my pho experiences, and Nam's pho has rated the lowest of all the places I have tried.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:42 pm

I can't say that I have 100% confidence in the service at this point in time BUT as I stated earlier the food is GOOD. I have had the pho in the pho in the past and it wasn't that great. Before the only things that were exceptional were the wings and the house fried rice. It is different now for the Chinese selections alone IMO have catapulted their food to #1 for Chinese in this city. That is not saying a lot but you have got to try it if you love Chinese food. I was not disappointed.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:28 am

One word of caution: the Chinese chef is off on Mondays and thus Nam's serves only their old menu. I assume he hasn't yet trained the kitchen how to make his dishes.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews