MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Athens Gyros brings Greek food to Westport

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Athens Gyros brings Greek food to Westport

Postby Jesse Russell » Tue May 08, 2007 2:07 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... ticle=6548

How delighted was I to see this article? Very. I took a spin around the lake just two nights ago and stumbled across this very same gas station. It was only a few minutes before it closed so I didn't get a chance to sample the Gyros, but Gus was there hanging out with six or seven other folks (who I imagine are Westportians). Very friendly, clean, and interesting gas station. Thanks for catching it!
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Re: Athens Gyros brings Greek food to Westport

Postby eriedasch » Tue May 08, 2007 3:55 pm

Jesse Russell wrote:How delighted was I to see this article? Very.

Agreed. I would have never stopped there in a million years based on the sign, name, and fact that it is in a gas station.

With Parthenon being the only place worth getting a gyro at in town (sorry DiMetri's) now I'm anxious to try it.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby porc de vol » Wed May 09, 2007 10:20 am

They don't mention in the article that Gus was the manager of the Parthenon Restaurant on State Street in Madison before he opened this restaurant & Shell convenience store in Westport this past fall. Anyone who has eaten at the Parthenon over the last decade or so will probably recognize Gus behind the counter. He was certainly the one responsible for the Parthenon being consistently rated as having Madison's "best Gyros", so this is State Street's loss and a major win for Madison's north side and anyone who regularly commutes Highway M.

You can also order a beer to drink with your dine-in order and they have other traditional fare (hamburgers, etc.), so this certainly isn't your typical convenience store.

Strange that most new convenience stores in other towns now have some sort of restaurant in them (Subway, McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc.), but you're not seeing this in Madison. Probably because of the dominance of the PDQ/Kelly's Mobil corporate chains that aren't interested in this type of combination.
porc de vol

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 09, 2007 10:37 am

porc de vol wrote:Strange that most new convenience stores in other towns now have some sort of restaurant in them (Subway, McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc.), but you're not seeing this in Madison. Probably because of the dominance of the PDQ/Kelly's Mobil corporate chains that aren't interested in this type of combination.

Won't hear me complaining. One corporation cockblocking another? Boo hoo.

I'll take the deliriously odd combinations of gas station and high cuisine that are embodied in this new place, Black Lotus and ChinMi.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews