MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Cafe Costa Rica review

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Cafe Costa Rica review

Postby toine » Wed May 16, 2007 1:57 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewt ... c&start=15

I hadn't noticed the other thread about the restaurant initially, so i've copied it here

Cafe Costa Rica
141 S Butler St
Madison, WI 53703
(608) 256-9830

This small 'hole in the wall' has quickly become one of my favorite downtown restaurants. Tony (aka Thony, aka Mango Man), the cook/owner manages to combine some Costa Rican standards with the occasional Jamaican flair for some truly impressive and affordable dishes.

We've sampled most of the menu by now, and here is a short list of my favorites:

Appetizers:
Patacones - These twice fried, artery clogging slices of Plantain goodness are a staple among most carribean cooking. Also known as Tostones to some, they are chunks of green plantain, lightly fried, crushed into a patty, then re-fried. Served with a side of beans topped with fresh cilantro.

Main Dishes:
Tilapia in Mango Coconut sauce - Served with a side of rice and beans as well as a cilantro heavy simple 'ensalada' of chopped lettuce and tomatoes and a few slices of 'Platanos' (also called maduros), a sweet plantain.

Curried Pork Dinner - My first visit to the Cafe, I left me choice up to the chef. Tony came out with a grin on his face, introduced himself to us, and told me I was going to eat good tonight. The curried pork was moist and flavorful. The spices were well balanced, and each bite seemed to let a different flavor take center stage on the palette. This was also served with Rice and Beans, a side of ensalada, and maduros.

Drinks:
In addition to a variety of beers, they also offer a selection of blended drinks. The pina coladas we ordered the first time were standard fare, and we've refrained from ordering them again. Instad, order a Cafe con Leche, as they are one of the few places to make an authentic cup in town

Cafe Costa Rica also offers breakfast, and their lunch specials are a great deal, especially the 'Costa Rican Lunch', which includes Rice and Beans, Ensalada, Platanos and a side of either Chicken or Pork.[/i]
toine

Postby primetime » Wed May 16, 2007 5:37 pm

Do they have Lizano available as a condiment? I saw this stuff sold by the gallon at Mas por Menos in San Jose. It is pretty good on rice & beans. Do they make a good ceviche?

Never mind on the Lizano I saw the other thread and it sounds like they have it.

How about ceviche though?
a good friend of mine married a girl from Costa Rica and had the wedding down there. She made sure I tried the ceviche everywhere but none compared to her Mother's version. I have tried the ceviche at Magnus and it is good but still no where near the levels of the homemade stuff I had in Costa Rica.
primetime

Postby toine » Tue May 29, 2007 10:40 am

I was able to try the ceviche this weekend, and it was really good. The past few times I've gone, they've been out of it, so I would show early or call ahead.
toine

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews