MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

La Mestiza @ Market Square

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

La Mestiza @ Market Square

Postby cubanat » Wed May 30, 2007 2:49 pm

Hers's the deal: The principals behind La Queretana closed that business down and are in the process of opening back up as La Mestiza. I never went to the former so I hit up the latter as soon as I heard of their opening. The best salsa verde in town. The best taco al pastor in town (they put a pineapple/mango salsa on it). They are serving a tacos/torta/burrito/tamale menu now while they are getting the place raedy for the full menu. It is in the former Sacramento bakery spot on Odana Rd. in the Market Square plaza. If you like deep & complex moles & salsas made with roasted chiles than this place is for you. The chef is from Mexico City but the place is leaning towards Oaxacan flavors. The tamales were good made better by the addition of the salsa verde. The taco were good. The pastor was the bomb while the chorizo was tasty but not greasy at all. I wanted grease so I ordered the chcharron taco as well. It had the fatty goodness that I ws looking for but they had soaked it in the fire roasted salsa that is too deep for my taste but others loved it and bought a quart of that salsa to go. They also offer carnitas by the pound served with chips, salsa, & tortillas. Yet another good mexican joint!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Wed May 30, 2007 3:15 pm

can i walk out of there with a burrito that is edible without a knife and fork, like behind the wheel of my car if necessary?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu May 31, 2007 1:48 pm

i answered my own question today.
grabbed a pollo burrito to go.
all the ingredients were fresh. big chunks of tomato, and big chunks of avocado, not guac.
not a particularly big burrito, and rather mild in flavor, but nice.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: La Mestiza @ Market Square

Postby ReneChristine » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:59 pm

I love the food and agree about the salsa verde for sure... But every time I go in there and order Horchata, they tell me it's all gone... Then I see them serve it to other tables... I think it's because I'm white... That's messed up!
ReneChristine

Postby Velvet Coffin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm

ReneChristine wrote:I love the food and agree about the salsa verde for sure... But every time I go in there and order Horchata, they tell me it's all gone... Then I see them serve it to other tables... I think it's because I'm white... That's messed up!

Madam or sir, your odd anecdote rings false.

I've eaten there four times, thrice with paleface companions and once with a friend of visually ambiguous ethnicity. I've had delicious horchata every time. As have my dining companions, usually.

Not a single experience has led me to believe that La Mestiza is the kind of place to discriminate on any basis. Nor would they refuse to bring something that was otherwise available.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:42 pm

I've been there once. Yup, great salsa. Got the 3 tacos meal. They have the BEST marinated pork I've ever had. To the point where the other 2 tacos (steak and chix), which were fine in their own right, were demoted to 2nd tier afterthoughts.
I'd probably get the food to go next time. The eat-in ambience sucks, compounded by the fact I was probably involuntarily making sex sounds as I ate that freakin' pork. Mmmm oh yeah ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:15 pm

IMHO, going to La Mestiza and ordering a burrito or taco is missing the best part of the restaurant. The real gold is in their entrees - the lamb shoulder, the pork roast, the carnitas, etc.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:08 am

NullDevice wrote:IMHO, going to La Mestiza and ordering a burrito or taco is missing the best part of the restaurant. The real gold is in their entrees - the lamb shoulder, the pork roast, the carnitas, etc.

Agreed, but for a good lunch you can't go wrong with the tres tacos.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews