MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Papa Bear's BBQ

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Papa Bear's BBQ

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm

acereraser wrote:Anyone been here lately? I've played a couple ultimate games at North Star Park this season, and noticed this place on my drive. I probably won't be able to resist trying it, but does anyone recommend it?

I still do. It's no smokehouse, as I think I've described elsewhere. More of a soul food/fast food BBQ joint. Thick, sweet sauce and not a lot of visible smoke ring.

That said, the BBQ corned beef sandwich is great, and the hot link sandwich is out-of-sight. Additional biscuits are a must.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
acereraser wrote:Anyone been here lately? I've played a couple ultimate games at North Star Park this season, and noticed this place on my drive. I probably won't be able to resist trying it, but does anyone recommend it?

I still do. It's no smokehouse, as I think I've described elsewhere. More of a soul food/fast food BBQ joint. Thick, sweet sauce and not a lot of visible smoke ring.

That said, the BBQ corned beef sandwich is great, and the hot link sandwich is out-of-sight. Additional biscuits are a must.

Thanks for the knowledge.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 am

TheBookPolice wrote: That said, the BBQ corned beef sandwich is great

Do they use a traditional sauce, or a mustard 'cue? I had a corned beef brisket in the freezer left over from St Paddy's, so I grilled it slow and low, basted with a mustard glaze. It came out really good, especially the leftover sandwiches. I need to grill another, because I ate all of it before I got the idea to try a Cuban-like sandwich with corned beef and prosciutto in place of the ham and pork.

I'll have to check this place out, thanks for the review.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:09 am

TheBookPolice wrote:

Went there last night and got some ribs, corned beef, corn, taters, and biscuit to go. It was OK. Pretty much the same as I remembered them being under previous ownership.
The beef was the winner. Not tender, but a fun chew nonetheless. I could see getting a pound of it and buying some rolls/slaw/green peppers elsewhere and having a sammich-a-thon.
The ribs were a nice mix of meaty/fatty, but like Bookie said, it's no smokehouse.
Now I want to try that hot link sammi.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:04 pm

I stopped in after the last game, and got the BBQ Corned Beef sandwich, which normally comes with chips and a pickle. I also wanted the Garlic Roasted Potato Wedges, so Mr. Bear gave me a deal on the Wedges since I didn't need to double up on potatoes.

It was all delicious, as others have described, but it didn't hurt that I ate it at about 8:00 pm, after playing a game of ultimate. I was pretty danged hungry. I did share some bites with the family, and they all gave it a thumbs up, so I'm Papa Bear will get a return visit from us soon.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby yesferatu » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:06 pm

I approve of Papa Bear's BBQ, but there are better places in town.
Portions are huge and the people are friendly.
I could have done with some honey for my biscuit...but that's just me.

I had a full rib dinner with taters, beans and a biscuit.
They use a sweeter sauce, which I like, but it wasn't spicy at all, which I don't like. I'm not sure what their sauce deal is. Some places make their own, even my favorite place in town, Porky Pine Pete's, used a brand name sauce.
I wasn't a huge fan of their beans, but I might be spoiled from Smoky John's.

I'll have to check Papa Bear's out again, but I believe they are the cheapest BBQ i town.
yesferatu

Postby AndyMatts » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:32 am

I live in the neighborhood that has become Ultimate Central. I have Papa Bear's a few times a year. I've always had a good experience with them.
AndyMatts

Postby bassbari » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:12 pm

It's been awhile, but I thought the ribs were very good and so was the sweet potato pie.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:52 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I still do. It's no smokehouse, as I think I've described elsewhere. More of a soul food/fast food BBQ joint. Thick, sweet sauce and not a lot of visible smoke ring.

Is the pork still sliced, rather than pulled or chopped? I went there once shortly after they opened, after having been to Bull's quite a bit, and was pretty disappointed.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Yep, still sliced so far as I know. I actually haven't ordered it in a while, for that very reason, so I guess I could be wrong. Regardless, pulled >>>>> sliced.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dspiffy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:15 am

I dont care for pulled pork, so I'm unlikely to have the same issues as the others.

Papa Bear's is, as far as I know, the only place in Madison to get a Chicago style BBQ hot link (sandwich or part of a meal). I also enjoy their garlic potato wedges, brisket sandwich, and ribs. I'm not a fan as much of the tips or the burgers, although they are not bad.

Great local business and the owner, Jeff Norwood, is a good guy. I definitely support them over any chain BBQ spot.
dspiffy

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:33 pm

dspiffy wrote:Great local business and the owner, Jeff Norwood, is a good guy. I definitely support them over any chain BBQ spot.

He really is a good guy, and his daughter, who works there, is very nice too. Definitely the type of local business that deserves support. They've been working really hard to make it successful at that location, and I hope their good BBQ keep people coming in.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews