MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Africana

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Nate535 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 pm

I went with 3 others pretty shortly after it opened. It took a while to get service but after that things were great. Our server was very good and did a great job explaining all the dishes. The flavors were new to me so I didn't really know what to expect but we all enjoyed our meals. The owner came over to introduce himself and thank us for coming.

It's probably not a place I will frequent but It will be a great place to visit on occasion for a change of pace.
Nate535
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Finally got a chance to try Africana out over the weekend - and my quick not very in depth review:

Positives: Lots of unique flavors I have never tried before. Everything I tried was very tasty. I especially enjoyed the maffe, cajun pasta, and plantains.

Negatives: The service was very spotty despite only 3 tables of customers while we were there. Our waitress brought me a sparkling white wine after I ordered a cabarnet. This sort of thing really doesn't bug me except it took a while to get the initial glass, and then it was wrong, and then took a while to get corrected... and when it was all said and done, I was given a wine portion 1/2 the amount I usually get anywhere else for a $5 glass. Everyone at my table noticed this.
Food portions were no better than my wine portion. When I initially saw the prices on the menu, I thought they seemed par for the cuisine... but then when our food came out it seemed as if we were all given lunch sizes and we paid for dinner.

So overall, I liked the unique flavors and dishes. I wish I could make a complete case for going back... but unfortunatley, my wallet and stomach were both more empty than I preferred on my way out the door. I think it is going to be one of those places that I won't choose myself but will have no problem submitting when someone else insists.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby BookhouseBoy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:42 pm

jhain wrote:I ate there last night. It was probably the worst meal I've ever paid for at a restaurant. The fries I had at Mickey's later were far superior to anything that I or my dining companions ordered. We are all vegetarians so perhaps meat eaters will have a better experience.

Well, I think you have to keep in mind that sometimes when an ethnic restaurant strives for authenticity, they are sort of beholden to their source material, yeah ? I've only been had a little African exposure (in Los Angeles, I've not yet tried Africana), but from my experience, and things I've read online, I think African is one of those ethnocuisines that is maybe more lacking in strong savoury flavors than more robust types. That's sort of the answer to why some world cuisines are more prevalent than others (British restaurants, perfect example), right?

Anyway, I'm happy that Africana is here in Madison, and look forward to sampling authentic Senegalese/Ivorian for the first time soon.

I also like that I've heard they have music nights 3 of 7. That's awesome.

An Isthmus piece on Africana: http://www.thedailypage.com/eats/articl ... icle=23299
BookhouseBoy

Re: Africana

Postby Ashley » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:29 am

I admit that I was pleased with neither the service nor the food. I will not be going back
Ashley
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews