MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 9.0° F  Light Snow Blowing Snow and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

What is your best dining experience in Madison? Worst?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby chleppr » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:17 pm

Best: La Mestiza: The owner is awesome. He really cares that you are happy with your meal. A great Anniversary place to go.
Gus's Diner in Sun Prairie: New and locally owned. Owners always there and making sure the quality of food is awesome.
Herreman's in Sun Prairie: My favorite supper club.
Bandung: Best Ethnic experience. Always wonderful food.

Worst: El Corral. In two words...speak English. Staff couldn't even tell us that they do carry Sierra Mist. Awful experience.
chleppr

Postby Madsci » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:17 pm

I found El Corral to have very tasty food and was able to communicate in english pero hablo espanol tambien.

My worst meal was back in the 1980s at the old Ella's on State St. Lipstick on the coffee mug and almost raw hamburger, I had to send both back. The womens bathroom could have won the dirtiest bathroom in Madison award but maybe the mens room was worse. The place should have been condemned. I cheered its closing.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Best was probably several courses of tastiness at Lombardino's, or the Garlic Pork at China Palace.

Worst was as a dirt-poor college student, when I mixed the last two foodstuffs in the apartment (refried beans and canned chicken) together, and tried to eat the mix with no accompaniments. I still remember the bowl I mixed them in.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:50 am

Frank Booth wrote:I still remember the bowl I mixed them in.

You're not telling us ... it's the same bowl into which you voided them ... ?

Dude, by no measure can that be called a dining experience!

(Even for Tutto Pasta.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 am

fennel wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:I still remember the bowl I mixed them in.

You're not telling us ... it's the same bowl into which you voided them ... ?

Dude, by no measure can that be called a dining experience!

(Even for Tutto Pasta.)

Well I didn't proceed beyond a couple of bites, which stayed home, and the rest went it the trashcan. And as for Tutto, from what I've heard they're cooking from the same cookbook.

But back to the topic at hand, though it's surely not considered "fine dining", the restaurant that I miss most from Madison is Vientiane Palace. The curry plate and the wide noodle are damn good, especially for the price.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:48 am

Frank Booth wrote:But back to the topic at hand, though it's surely not considered "fine dining", the restaurant that I miss most from Madison is Vientiane Palace. The curry plate and the wide noodle are damn good, especially for the price.

Did they close? I didn't realize. Try the Vientiane on Gorham. Nearly identical food, plus you can ponder whether the waitress hates you, hates life, is mildly autistic, or any other sort of explanation for her cold demeanor.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gemini child » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:52 am

TAsunder wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:But back to the topic at hand, though it's surely not considered "fine dining", the restaurant that I miss most from Madison is Vientiane Palace. The curry plate and the wide noodle are damn good, especially for the price.

Did they close? I didn't realize. Try the Vientiane on Gorham. Nearly identical food, plus you can ponder whether the waitress hates you, hates life, is mildly autistic, or any other sort of explanation for her cold demeanor.

Most likely her cold demeanor is from past stressful life events.
gemini child

Postby seanpeterson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:03 am

Best: Harvest

Worst: PF Chang's in Middleton (Serves me right, I guess)
seanpeterson

Postby seanpeterson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:09 am

sitnspin wrote:Best: Cafe Porta Alba, L'etoile, New Seoul, Tornado. And Glarner Stube!

Worst: Come Back Inn, Cafe Continental, Alchemy, Roman Candle.

You ate at Come Back Inn? I'm surprised you're still alive! That building is rat-infested.
seanpeterson

Postby Qbert » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:07 pm

Because it came to mind first:
Worst: El Dorado. That place is way too inconsistant to be that expensive. My meal was inedible (the catfish) the last time I was there. Pretty but icky. Too bad, the time before that my meal was quite yummy.

And seriously, what is up with the sides of beans and corn stacked up like a jenga game.
Qbert

Postby towanda » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:09 pm

Best (for quality of food): Chautara, especially the pakauda, mumari, and masala dosa.

Worst: Carlos O'Kelly's and the unlamented Firefly. Both were quite possibly the worst restaurant meals I have ever had.

Carlos O'Kelly's: Our first restaurant dinner in Madison, when we were apartment-hunting and had not actually moved yet. The vegetarian "burritos" turned out to be melted Velveeta mixed with cheapass salsa wrapped in stale tortillas. Ew.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby brdnwi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:26 pm

recently I went to Samba with a bunch of my friends. It was one of my most memorable experiences for many reasons. The atmosphere, the service, the food, and of course the people I was with. The one downfall was the price ($40 for the whole meat/salad bar experience). However, at the end of the night I think we all agreed that it was worth it. It's not a place that we will hit up all the time, but probably only for special occasions. If you haven't been there, Samba is a Brazilian restaurant where they serve meat on skewers. They bring them to your table and they cut the food in front of you before serving. There are Samba's scattered all across the country, but the one in Madison is really well designed and they occasionally have live entertainment on their stage. I would surely visit again, but like I said, for special occasions.

-Brandon

More on Samba
http://www.w1rld.com/attraction.php?a=108
brdnwi

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:34 pm

brdnwi wrote:There are Samba's scattered all across the country

Are there now.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brdnwi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:24 am

to BookPolice.

Yes, a friend of mine went to one in Salt Lake City, so I assume its a chain.
brdnwi

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:35 am

brdnwi wrote:to BookPolice.

Yes, a friend of mine went to one in Salt Lake City, so I assume its a chain.

That sounds like a bad assumption to me. It's not like the word "Samba" is uncommon, and the name of the joint in Salt Lake City is "Samba Grill," not "Samba Brazilian Grill."

I should say, it was Samba Grill.

sambagrill.com wrote:[url=http://www.sambagrill.com/]Samba Grill are closed.
Apologize for the inconvenience.[/url]

Somehow, I think a chain could string together a proper sentence.

(it's really not a chain)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews