MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What is your best dining experience in Madison? Worst?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:06 pm

The Taco Bell on East Wash has some of the best service of ANY restaurant in town. And I'm not kidding.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 pm

towanda wrote:Service can make or break a dining experience.

Yes, I agree. BUT, I want to hear about service for the majority of people who eat there. To put it bluntly, I neither care about nor want to read about how they treat people's obscure allergies/dislikes/phobias/manias/etc.

Start a gluten-free service thread.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

I would reverse the two

Postby Alauda » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:48 pm

Veeder wrote:Best: Lombardinos

Worst: Tie - Pedro's or Pasquals (Hilldale).

Biggest disappointment - Nadias

I'm surprised. We have always had decent, not exceptional, food at Nadia's. The food at Lombardinos wasn't very good. Maybe things have improved at Lombardinos. We'll have to check it out again. We stopped going after a rather disappointing meal. Maybe the chef has changed.
Alauda

Re: I would reverse the two

Postby Veeder » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Alauda wrote:The food at Lombardinos wasn't very good. Maybe things have improved at Lombardinos.

If you haven't been for a few years things have markedly changed since your last visit.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I would reverse the two

Postby Alauda » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Veeder wrote:
Alauda wrote:The food at Lombardinos wasn't very good. Maybe things have improved at Lombardinos.

If you haven't been for a few years things have markedly changed since your last visit.

Yes, it has been about four years. I guess we will give it another try. Thanks for the info.
Alauda

Postby wallrock » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Veeder wrote:
towanda wrote:Service can make or break a dining experience.

Yes, I agree. BUT, I want to hear about service for the majority of people who eat there. To put it bluntly, I neither care about nor want to read about how they treat people's obscure allergies/dislikes/phobias/manias/etc.

Start a gluten-free service thread.

I don't think a little confusion in dealing with a Celiac's customer (for example) is necessarily damning, but I do prefer places where the staff goes the extra mile. I never did care about dietary restrictions either until my sister became lactose-intolerant (easy enough to avoid, so long as the staff know what has dairy). My food would be the same regardless, but a little something is taken from the experience when your sister gets sick halfway through the meal.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:29 pm

wallrock wrote:I don't think a little confusion in dealing with a Celiac's customer (for example) is necessarily damning...

Maybe not, but Fork & Spoon makes a point of mentioning gluten-free pasta on their menu, which suggests they ought not be completely clueless about gluten in their other menu items.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:54 pm

Veeder wrote:Start a gluten-free service thread.

Done.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Ducatista wrote:
wallrock wrote:I don't think a little confusion in dealing with a Celiac's customer (for example) is necessarily damning...

Maybe not, but Fork & Spoon makes a point of mentioning gluten-free pasta on their menu, which suggests they ought not be completely clueless about gluten in their other menu items.

Yeah, if you're advertising to that knowledge then it is pretty damning. I was only saying in general, like when I was working at a deli in college and I'd get questions about gluten content in the soup. I'd usually say something to the effect of "Uh, it comes in a bag..." I wasn't a very good employee, either.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:04 pm

wallrock wrote:
Ducatista wrote:

Yeah, if you're advertising to that knowledge then it is pretty damning. I was only saying in general, like when I was working at a deli in college and I'd get questions about gluten content in the soup. I'd usually say something to the effect of "Uh, it comes in a bag..." I wasn't a very good employee, either.

True, but the City of Madison Health Department requires an ingredient binder on site for just such an occasion (handy for other hidden allergies as well). Either Fork and Spoon doesn't have one, or their employees don't know of it's existence/location.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zloduska » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:12 pm

chleppr wrote:Quite an assumption on your part to say that I don't speak Spanish. BTW...El Corral is not Mexican, it is South American.

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my frustration as arrogance. I believe that we all look for authenticity in an ethnic restaurant. However, when a server has NO knowledge of the menu, it is much more than a language barrier. I have traveled all over the world and have never met with such a block in communication. Maybe you should get your facts straight before making insults.

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. Your post could have been taken as sort of sarcastic kvetching, or as some kind of arrogance that is a pet peeve of mine-- when I see narrow-minded Midwesterners bitching about Hispanic people and how they all should automatically learn English, when their culture is something very important in my life, and being bilingual is my livelihood. So it was basically a knee-jerk reaction. No harm intended, amigo.
Zloduska

Postby Zloduska » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Veeder wrote:When did this post turn into a forum for allergy/service whiners? The best and the worst, name them with a short reason why if you must. No one wants to hear another allergy story.

Fuck you. I answered the goddamn question, which was my best and worst dining experience in Madison-- the topic of the thread, remember? SORRY I HAVE A FUCKING GENETIC AUTOIMMUNE DISDORDER THAT HAS ALMOST RUINED MY LIFE, THAT YOU SOMEHOW FIND ANNOYING EVEN THOUGH IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU AT ALL!!! Go to hell.
Zloduska

Postby Elliot » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:32 pm

My worst recent dining experience was definitely the Argus. They have a spiffy looking menu, it's too bad there's nothing to back it up. Including forgetting half the ingredients and using mostly shitty Sysco food stuff.
Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby dstol62 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:48 pm

hmmm....add "anger management" disorder.

Zloduska wrote:
Veeder wrote:When did this post turn into a forum for allergy/service whiners? The best and the worst, name them with a short reason why if you must. No one wants to hear another allergy story.

Fuck you. I answered the goddamn question, which was my best and worst dining experience in Madison-- the topic of the thread, remember? SORRY I HAVE A FUCKING GENETIC AUTOIMMUNE DISDORDER THAT HAS ALMOST RUINED MY LIFE, THAT YOU SOMEHOW FIND ANNOYING EVEN THOUGH IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU AT ALL!!! Go to hell.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Garimba » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Zloduska wrote:

I would have put "Go to hell" in all caps too and made it bold but yours is a good and sincere fucking crazy as well.

SALUD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gluten: A newly discovered cause of mental disdorders, sometimes.

Worst meal: Jolly Bob's. Who in shit's name keeps them in business? Worst service ever. Not only does it suck but they seem to take pride in how much it sucks and rub your nose in it. And I swear the food I had on my first visit must have been on the floor at one point in time during the night. Filthy. On my second and last trip there I had to wonder if my food hadn't already been served to an earlier patron. And those ridiculous chairs... someone should just put a trailer hitch on that dump and tow it out of town.

Best: Tough to pick one thing or one place... several of the Magnus tapas, the Farmer John at Soleil, several things at The Harmony, back in the day when Gino always made the bolognese sauce- that was a treat at Gino's, the grilled cheese sandwich at The Rathskellar with those horrible, translucent restaurant chain pickle slices- yum! Up scale, L'Etoile never disappointed me when Odessa was around. Since then about 50/50. The skate at Sardine is almost always nice. Harvest has never disappointed me but like L'Etoile the quality of food and service doesn't usually live up to the price they ask. A couple years ago, food after bar time at Taqueria Marimar was heavenly and cheap. Can't speak for it now. Hope it's still good. Gone but I still think of it... sometimes great good food, sometimes cold, Mario and Yolanda's Cuban cafe in the basement of the hippie hotel. I really miss them.

Sorry if I went off topic, somebody must have slipped a gluten roofie into my drink.
Garimba
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews