MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, January 26, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

gluten free / veeder free thread

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

gluten free / veeder free thread

Postby eriedasch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:53 pm

For those of us on a gluten free, vegetarian, dairy free and/or vegan diet that want to know of any places in town that serve food you can eat.

From the best/worst dining experiences thread:

RP's Pasta Deli - poor service? Employees do not know which sauces are gluten free (according to another post). Although they claim to have gluten free pasta.

Bunky's - I've seen signs that they serve gluten free pizzas.

Dohban - many vegetarian options

Stated a new thread because our pal Veeder should not be bothered with anyone talking about specific food allergies, limitations, etc. in a general threat.

My girlfriend recently started a gluten free diet and I'm wondering if there are other good options out there for dining out.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:24 pm

My wife is gluten free and we can eat at a bunch of places in town. Here are some favorites.

Lao Laan Xang - their Pad Thai and squash curry. they have many other items with rice noodles and no soy sauce.

Bunky's - the owner suffers from Celiac, so there are seemingly endless options for gluten free dining. The pizza is pretty good and the GF cheese cake rocks

Tex Tubbs - enchilada or tostada meal. their scramblers can be gluten free by asking for corn tortillas instead of flour. A bunch of their tacos are GF as well.

Chains and I say this as they have specific GF menu information on their web sites:

Wendy's, Chili's, Red Robin, Flat Top Grill

It really boils down to asking the chef/cook whatever you need to know about food items when they are not busy, such as middle of the afternoon.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:42 pm

juanton wrote:My wife is gluten free

So...you're suggesting that we all eat your wife?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 pm

Marvell wrote:
juanton wrote:My wife is gluten free

So...you're suggesting that we all eat your wife?

Sure, as long as you and the rest of your bunch, i.e. the other members of we, do not cross contaminate.
Last edited by juanton on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 pm

She's not in the danger zone, is she?

FAT TOM?
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:39 pm

jhain wrote:She's not in the danger zone, is she?

FAT TOM?

Dude, don't make me want to illegally tag your outer walls.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:44 pm

juanton wrote:Dude, don't make me want to illegally tag your outer walls.

Just use chalk on the brick part of the Ingersoll side. A nice chalk mural of a gluten-free wife.. Sounds good.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:15 am

Question on gluten free: It seems like most GF people are ok with oats but some are not, claiming that oats have gluten, too. Any ideas?
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: gluten free / veeder free thread

Postby Zloduska » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:25 pm

eriedasch wrote:
My girlfriend recently started a gluten free diet and I'm wondering if there are other good options out there for dining out.

Give me a day and I can give you a huge list of what I've discovered. Right now I am furious about that Vedder asshole teling me I didn't have the right to answer the same question as everyone else because I have a certain disease. I wonder how pleasant his dining experience would be if I disemboweled him with a rusty chainsaw.
Zloduska

Postby juanton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:12 pm

jhain wrote:Question on gluten free: It seems like most GF people are ok with oats but some are not, claiming that oats have gluten, too. Any ideas?

From what I gather, here in the US, there is no mandate to certify oats as gluten free, i.e. they may be contaminated from the processing equipment that is also used for other grains. So it's potentially a crap shoot buying oats in the US. My wife said something about some celiacs getting their oats from Canada as they have tougher labeling restrictions.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm

juanton wrote:From what I gather, here in the US, there is no mandate to certify oats as gluten free, i.e. they may be contaminated from the processing equipment that is also used for other grains. So it's potentially a crap shoot buying oats in the US. My wife said something about some celiacs getting their oats from Canada as they have tougher labeling restrictions.

Thankyou.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zloduska » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:20 pm

jhain wrote:Question on gluten free: It seems like most GF people are ok with oats but some are not, claiming that oats have gluten, too. Any ideas?

Somewhat recently Bob's Red Mill started carrying certified GF oats. You can buy it at Woodman's, Cub's, and other stores in the health food aisle too. The first company to have GF oats, the name escapes me, but you can buy huge bags of it at the Silly Yak Bakery on Mineral Point Rd. I believe McCann's Irish Oats, which are readily availble, are also known to be gluten-free.
Zloduska

Postby jhain » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Zloduska wrote:

Somewhat recently Bob's Red Mill started carrying certified GF oats. You can buy it at Woodman's, Cub's, and other stores in the health food aisle too. The first company to have GF oats, the name escapes me, but you can buy huge bags of it at the Silly Yak Bakery on Mineral Point Rd. I believe McCann's Irish Oats, which are readily availble, are also known to be gluten-free.

Thanks.

From Juanton's post I gather that oats themselves are GF but gluten may be introduced by the processing equipment. Is this correct?
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zloduska » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:26 pm

jhain wrote:From Juanton's post I gather that oats themselves are GF but gluten may be introduced by the processing equipment. Is this correct?

No problem. I also think in some cases they grow the wheat and oats in the same field, and it can be cross-contaminated in harvesting, then again in processing, like most things. I read somewhere that in the UK, like Ireland and Scotland, they primarily grow oats alone so they are generally safe. Anyway, I love Bob's Red Mill products because they are ever-expanding and keep coming out with new GF varieties, plus the cost is reasonable compared to other speciality items which are astronomically marked-up, you can sometimes find them on sale, and their GF products are conveniently labeled with one of those red 'prohibited' signs and an evil wheat sheaf! :-)
Zloduska

Postby neighbor » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:07 am

I agree with juanton's suggestion of phoning the chef/establishment prior to going. Most menus are available online and you might check that out first then ask about substitutions, etc. Even though GF menu items are becoming more popular, there are still items that some people are more sensitive to or are questionable, and I wouldn't expect the server to know more than you about your food sensitivities. That being said, most chefs and wait staff are happy to accommodate once they know your allergies. They just may not know on the spot, and it's more difficult to investigate during a lunch or dinner rush.
It's a win-win situation if you have allergies or special dietary needs to do a little research before you go out.
Bon appetit
neighbor

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews