MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

New Restaurant Muramoto

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

New Restaurant Muramoto

Postby redrose » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:17 pm

tried the new muramoto. still looks a lot like cocoliquot, but the lighting is darker...
the food was all very good. only a couple things I could have lived without. I'm glad they are there. looking forward to sushi for lunch too. we needed a good sushi spot on the square.
I'd like to read other reviews/experiences of the place if anyone has been yet...
redrose

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:56 am

Can not wait to go there! The online menu is the same as before, is the new one radically different?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:09 am

Did you notice any difference in the flavor of familiar dishes? We went to the old muramoto a few days before it moved and found the Crab Croquettes and Black Cod to be disappointing. The Black Cod actually had bones in it, which is unusual (bad prep work?).
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby redrose » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:21 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Can not wait to go there! The online menu is the same as before, is the new one radically different?

The new menu is rather different. There are some things the same (still have slaw salad, oyster shot, duck roll...) but for the most part its new. There is a "small bite" section with 10 items to choose from. We tried the 8 for $20. Then there is a cold food section and hot food section. Then of course the specialty rolls. Most of our small bites were great especially loved the monkfish liver, but we could have lived without the seafood terrine. The calamari salad was lovely and beef salad good if you like peanut sauce. I highly recommend the sweet soy duck from the hot dishes (but I'm a sucker for duck) and the deadly catch special roll is wonderful! I've been there twice now and ordered quite a load- those are my favorites so far. Oh yea, and yummy drinks too...
As for lunch, it looks like they offer the same hot dishes as before but now offer sushi rolls as well.
redrose

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Do they still have the hangar steak dish? It all sounds good, I'm psyched a co-worker just defended her MA thesis and I steered her to Muramoto for the celebratory dinner!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby redrose » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:28 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Do they still have the hangar steak dish? It all sounds good, I'm psyched a co-worker just defended her MA thesis and I steered her to Muramoto for the celebratory dinner!

they have a hangar steak with blue cheese sauce. is that the one? i almost tried it but didn't. it sounds good though..
redrose

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 pm

Thats it, very good stuff.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby allobrogica » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:25 pm

The panna cotta made me want to cream my pants it was so good. Wonderful light fruit sauce drizzled on top/side with several fresh edible flowers of at least two varieties and several colors. Beautiful presentation and delectable. The honey-ginger ice cream was also a very nice treat to end the evening. I would have put a wee touch of infused caramel sauce of some sort on it. Then it would have been perfect. But I love caramel.

The rolls and hot goodies we had were all tasty - a few really stood out, but all very good. The menu has changed - several fusiony/less-asian things are off. At least that was my first take. More rolls and great combinations.

Service was excellent. Something you don't always expect the first week. Our waitress was new to the new Muramoto (not sure how many moved over from the old place) and enthusiastic to be there (I thought that was nice anyway). She had a good sense of how many of the items on the menu tasted - including the drinks. Was the Sidecar Muramoto at the old place? Loved it.
allobrogica

bad service during lunch

Postby eatingaround » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:39 pm

The restaurant was dead, there were tons of staff, I sat ignored for 25 minutes waving my arms. I would of approached someone, but they kept walking away, and I wanted to give them at least a sporting chance of approaching me. They made reparations by not charging me for my tea.

The food was good, we had four different rolls, consistent with the quality at both other locations. I'm looking forward to trying the small bites portion of their dinner menu.
eatingaround

Postby Osso Muriendo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:49 am

Just went to Muramoto on the sep 19th. absolutely faboulous, our waiter was friendly helpful and very accessible. We had many questions regarding small non-essential elements of the dish and when he couldnt answer our questions himself, which was most of the time, he brought back a clear concise and detailed answer from the kitchen. Between three of us we had the kobe tartar, the pickled mackerel, the creamed scallop, the beef shabu-shabu, pork belly, duck breast, Dante roll and rainbow roll, as well as the coconut mango pudding. Every dish was a home run and not even the dante roll's agressive heat could dissuade us from enjoy ing every bite. I've had better meals in madison, but all of them were at l'etoile, and this one was better than half of them even there.
Osso Muriendo

Re: New Restaurant Muramoto

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:14 am

Finally went last weekend.

Good things:
-Service great
-Love the way they've taken over the space and could really see the entire kitchen staff go to work
-Expanded one shot apps are a great addition to the menu
-Rolls and menu items were as good as before
-Great desserts

Not so great:
-Slaw seemed smaller than across the street
-Didn't dig the potatoes with the steak like I did before (new recipe?)

Minor points really, still my favorite all around place to dine in Madison.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kulgar » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:57 pm

I think the slaw is smaller because it also costs less. I ate one at the old location by myself one time and my jaw hurt the next day from the workout. It's now more a "personal" salad but still large enough to share. He bought a machine to cut the daikon so it seems finer and I think soaks up more sauce so the flavor is a touch different. Only Shinji had the skill (but not the time) to cut daikon all day to make that much fine cut slaw so the machine makes sense.

And that salad makes up for the sin of eating kobe tartar with raw quail egg. Omnivore delight is for me a big part of the sekizuke. So many chances to really expand your palate in small and (surprisingly) affordable bites. Try the mix and match with friends, dare someone to eat raw meat or eggs, your limbic system will go nuts. Yeah, the Surgeon General, blah blah...

The duck is different and the jury is still out. Ethanol corn going to $6/bushel has made duck more expensive and they've changed the source (and possibly the species).

The reds are still a decent pour. That whole James Bond "reds with fish, I should have known you were a hired assassin" pairing is not valid at Restaurant Muramoto.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:14 am

Love love love.

I admit this was the first time I'd gotten around to patronizing ol' Shinji, and while I regret missing out on how good this was for this long, it was a quality of food that said "welcome, friend. no hard feelings."

Sakizuke of kobe tartare, scallop, king crab, sweetbreads, and braised pork. All were wonderful, although my tartare fell apart and I made an ass of myself trying to gather it up. Sweetbreads were a revelation.

Main dishes of hanger steak for her, fried pork belly for me. Not having the old potatoes to which to compare, we were definitely in favor of the current recipe. Steak was great, but tinged with wistfulness for the glory that was the CocoLiquot hanger.

Fried pork belly was amazing. Watermelon salad was just sweet enough to distinguish it from bell pepper, and the sesame vinaigrette was a perfect harmonizing note.

Had the chef's choice of desserts: yuzu custard tart (pretty good, very small), lemon verbena panna cotta (delectable panna cotta, lemon verbena flavor much better than any I've ever had before), green tea opera cake (a solid effort on a low degree of difficulty dessert), and the chocolate mousse-cake-thing (very creamy, very straightforward chocolatey, a perfect last bite).

Plus, the pomegranate cocktail x2 for her, the Hendrick's pepito and ginger saketini for me.

We'll be back for the gunsmoke roll, the black cod (cool review above notwithstanding), and the ice creams. Among others. Shit. We'll probably have to try it all.

Service: slow at first, kinda slow throughout, but very friendly. almost a little flirtingly winky, but not inappropriate.

Atmosphere: despite a large birthday party of SatC girly types right next to us, the noise was perfectly amenable for conversation.

Price: has to be one of the best values in the city.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:51 pm

you. werd.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:46 pm

The old one was probably my wife's favorite restaurant, so it was a simple choice to take her there for her birthday. To make it short, everything was as good as ever. We chose to order some new (to us) items, and we were as pleased as if we had gotten the tried and true things. A satisfying meal, every which way.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews