MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

La Brioche #2 ?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:25 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Here is the Wisconsin State Journal review from last Sunday: La Brioche True Food

Everything about this place, including its name, sound pretentious.

Agreed. Which is a little strange because the Midvale La Brioche was always so unassuming. Still, I'm glad there's something besides sandwich shops and Sa Bai Thong in the area.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:30 pm

Haven't tried it yet, but heard that an advertised soup was spicier than expected (a subjective area) and that none of their salads have include a "protein". If that's the case, I am sure they could figure out a way to include chicken or meat in the salad.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

All the baguettes are soft in Madison

Postby kulgar » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 pm

That could sound off color but it's not meant to be anything other than an observation. Even La Baguette or whatever it's called on Mineral Point has breads that are soft and stay soft. Do all the bakers use preservatives or just not bake until thoroughly done? La Baguette's seem doughy, or at least the sample of one did.

La Brioche is chanelling the Oven's because he was there in the beginning, they were good times and they were very good restaurants. Among the best in Madison when they started but that's a really tough business to be in, consistently, day in and day out. The fact that La Brioche is only 100 yards from one of, if not the last, outposts of the Ovens adds to the look and feel (although with a ton of natural light) that resembles a combo of them.

Yeah, it's in a strip mall but the mornings buns here and at Lazy Jane's are worth the calories. The pastries are incredible. I'll try a meal after that initial restaurant rush eases the crush.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:48 am

Yeah, I grab their Brioche buns at Willy Coop and find them totally satisfying, with a lingering after-glow...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: La Brioche #2 ?

Postby madgirl » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:53 pm

I'd always loved the low-key bakery on Midvale, so I was interested to try the new La Brioche. Prententious hits the nail on the head.
Just had breakfast there today. The food is OK - nothing special. I can get a much better omlette at Plaka. Decor is supposed to have a strong fung shui influence - I saw way too much busy, paisley wallpaper (which doesn't really strike me as a component of fung shui). However, the biggest dissatisfier that I found was the service. Slow, spotty service. Took awhile to even get a glass of water, let alone get coffee or order food, and the place was not that busy. Side orders forgotten too. If the service had been better, I'd consider a return visit, but there are too many other local places that serve great food with great service that I'd much rather frequent.
madgirl

Re: Went there a couple if nights ago

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:17 pm

lolagirl wrote:
kissyfish wrote:I have to say, that it reminds me a lot of the Ovens of Brittany in the 80s-early 90s.

With good reason - the owner of La Brioche was one of the owners of the Ovens.

Finally went there for breakfast. The mushroom omelet, salad, morning bun and coffee was yummy. The decor was disappointing. I kept thinking, the long period between moving in and putting up their sign, maybe meant the original interior order got botched and they got leftovers. If he could have rescued the old interior from Ovens, down the street, it would have been perfect. I look forward to outdoor eats there, I hope.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HBK » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Not sure why everyone is so ga-ga over this place. the baked goods continue to be of decent quality, but during my lunch visit I have to say the service was beyond terrible. The mushroom soup was cold and grainy. The food arrived with no silverware - it took several requests to get the silverware. The salad was just OK, not remarkable.

As I have gotten carry out bakery items on a couple of occasions - these continue to be of decent quality. This said they have abandoned their wholesale bakery business so if you want their bakery items you will have to go to the get them from the "source".

I am not sure if I will try the restaurant again, sort of pricey and certainly not wowing.
HBK
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:21 am

HBK wrote:Not sure why everyone is so ga-ga over this place.

Everyone being...whom, exactly? This thread hasn't been a very good one for LB:TF.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby forwardourmotto » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:57 am

I've been there twice and had pleasant experiences both times. The breakfast food was good and I like the atmosphere. Granted, the first time I went, the service seemed a bit overwhelmed (like, where is the hostess? Where is our server?), but by the second time, they were running much more smoothly and orders were taken promptly and coffee was refilled frequently. Maybe there were some issues when they opened. I'd go back again.
forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:53 pm

I've had breakfast there a number of times now, and it's always been good. The roasted potatoes are worth the trip.

The "green eggs and ham" is good, heavy on the pesto, and the scramblers are generally reliable. French toast was a huge meal - a bit overthought, though.

I'm a little put off by the multi-page "mission statement" they put on every table, but the food is good.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby embee » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:35 pm

I went recently and can report with pleasure that there were no bugs in the bread, as used to happen occasionally in the old La Brioche bakery. The owners seem to be striving for a hushed, elegant European vibe with certain nanny-like prohibitions--no laptops, and the pouty staff frowns at cell phones. (Actually, in the REAL Europe, good restaurants are quite noisy and human-friendly.) The soups were rather good, but it should be noted that any dish whose ingredients cost the owners some money (like scallops) is served in tiny portions. This isn't European, it's just a cynical way of cheating customers. Do the owners really suppose that nobody notices?
embee

Postby Heidilynne » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:07 am

I must say that I was originally very excited to go and try La Brioche when it opened at the new location on University Ave. However, I was extremely disappointed not in the food, the food was excellent, but in the service. I understand that it is an exclusive bakery with excellent products, but that does not give them any reason to be pretentious in every aspect. When we entered the restaurant, and left the restaurant, we were stared at rather rudely by the owner, and several of the employees. Upon trying to order our meal, we were told that they were out of potatoes. When we were served our food, we were told that the credit machine was down, and asked if we would be able to pay with another method? What type of service is this? What would they have done if I did not have cash with me at that time? Take my food back after I had already started to eat it?

One thing that I thought was a positive attribute to this restaurant was their commitment to using local and organic foods, when possible. They explain this in great detail in their bio-booklet that is available at each table. It is fantastic that they are such an avid supporter of our local farmers. However, when a restaurant such as this acts as pretentious as they do, it puts a negative spin on the local foods movement. This puts a stigma on the movement, I feel, that makes the facade that local foods are an exclusive, higher-end product instead of a food source that all should delight, and partake in. It is true that this is my perception on how the restaurant made me feel, and I am an avid supporter of the local foods movement, so I would take offense to a restaurant that treated local foods with high regard, but my patronage with distain. I think it not only make a reflection on the restaurant, but what the restaurant stands for.
Heidilynne

Postby embee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:50 am

Patrons will forgive and forget an occasional mediocre meal if everything else about the restaurant is right, but they will NEVER forget it if a restaurant's staff make them feel unwelcome or disrespected. Owner David Yankovich apparently never learned this. He has claimed strong connections with the Ovens of Brittany restaurants. He should have noted that several O of B restaurants in Madison, with their famously snotty, uncaring staff, closed one after another. Yankovich has seriously misread his demographic. Madisonians do notice if they're being price-gouged, cheated with tiny portions, AND offended with icy, reluctant service. And by my count, that makes three strikes...
embee

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews