MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

QUICK! THE FLAVOR OF INDIA NEEDS YOU!!!!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

QUICK! THE FLAVOR OF INDIA NEEDS YOU!!!!

Postby blunt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

On the Square where Kimia's was.
If you get lost, don't worry, the faded Kimia lion is still over the door.
Ok. Not so crazy about the name.
Probably not the result of an expensive ad agency or international cross-format focus groups.
Their tiny sad little outdoor sandwich board sign was, sadder still, covered up and blocked completely from view out of sight from the Saturday teeming mass at the top of State Street by a hanging Indian rug from the shop next door.
I accidentally found Flavor of India because a bunch of semi-truck-sized strollers forced to me to veer hundreds of feet from my preferred path.
I just opened the front door to grab a menu placed in the front foyer.
The restaurant was entirely empty.
Sunyata.
As I backed back out, a shadowy figure suddenly appeared way in the back by the kitchen door.
It was then joined, slapstick-like, by about 50 more shadows apparently all eager to have a customer!
I had no cash and therefore could not stay and therefore felt really bad because yes I'm that sensitive and therefore BESEECH any and all of you:

Please! Go to Flavor of India immediately and put some of their food in your mouth.
For me.

Without facts or experience I choose to believe the dumb name, cheap sign, and poor advertising means it's an honest restaurant by the people of the people.
Food cooked with love by Indian hockey moms.

So please go there and eat.
They need you.
And then let me know if it sucks or not.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby admin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:35 pm

On TDP: "After a first visit, I'd say Flavor of India is a good bet for old hands at Indian food as well as newcomers, because the fare at the buffet table covers vegetarians and meat-eaters, spice addicts and the curry-suspicious."
admin
Forum Addict

Re: QUICK! THE FLAVOR OF INDIA NEEDS YOU!!!!

Postby Marvell » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:50 pm

blunt wrote:Food cooked with love by Indian hockey moms.

How culturally insensitive of you.

In India they're called 'cricket moms.'

After a first visit, I'd say Flavor of India is a good bet for old hands at Indian food as well as newcomers, because the fare at the buffet table covers vegetarians and meat-eaters, spice addicts and the curry-suspicious.

Yeah - we're a suspicious lot, alright.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:51 am

admin wrote:On TDP: "After a first visit, I'd say Flavor of India is a good bet for old hands at Indian food as well as newcomers, because the fare at the buffet table covers vegetarians and meat-eaters, spice addicts and the curry-suspicious."

Insert the name of any Indian restaurant.
Snooze.
Obscure online reviews don't count.
And they don't solve the need the customers at The Falvor of India!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby creaturenutt » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:24 pm

I went there right after they had opened, and yes, we were the only ones in there.

I REALLY wanted to like this place, it seems family run and it would be so great to have an indian restaurant in Madison that ranks above passable.

Honestly, they really push the buffet, which is rather small and sadly heat-lit. I'm not much on buffets to begin with, so my first plan was to hit the menu. Basically, it's a who's who (or what's what?) of the standard Indian fare that you can get anywhere in town, although it implied that they do have a tandor.

I ended up going with the buffet anyway since it seemed like a hassle not to and nothing on the menu really stood out. It was ok. The naan was cold and limp, but I realize that a buffet w/few customers will do that.

I still really want them to do well, so hopefully things will continue to develop over time? Well, here's my 2 cents of unsolicited opinion anyway: Specialization on the menu and ditching the buffet all together would help, or even following the local/seasonal approach of its neighbors might help (or at least justify a $13 Aloo gobi).

Man, some place in town that could throw down an awesome ma ki dal or baigan mirch ka salan would rock my world...
creaturenutt

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews