MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Doug's Soul Food Rocks!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Doug's Soul Food Rocks!

Postby bassbari » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:44 am

I remember someone on the Forum last fall asking about Doug's Soul Food. They opened last August and were struggling until this week. It got an excellent review in another paper, so my partner, who is a black and a sort of a soul food expert, and I decided to try it yesterday. It is off Fitch Hatch on Greenway Cross across from the HumVee/Cadillac dealership. It was very clean and cheery inside. The menu is very limited but that is okay. Choice of Barbeque pork spare ribs, catfish, perch, barbeque beef short ribs and southern fried chicken. All are $8.95 except the chicken which is $7.50. Not a bad price point for all the food I got. I had the catfish, which included one large fried catfish fillet, seasoned just right with cornmeal and spices. It came with a choice of 2 sides: Black eyed peas, collard greens, candied sweet potatoes, mac & cheese, sauteed veggies, cole slaw and French fries, along with a choice of corn bread, dinner roll or hush puppies.
I had the best mac and cheese ever! baked in a pan, creamy with real cheese butter, eggs and milk, I am guessing. Real home made, just like mom. The sauteed veggies (squash, zucchini, peppers, broccoli, tomatoes and onions) were fantastic as well, grilled and very healthy. I noticed the daily special was chittlins, but I took a pass. To real soul food experts, I guess it is an acquired taste. We had very good sweet potato pie and lemon cake, both home made. I was hoping for peach cobbler, but not on the menu. Oh Well. Check it out. We were waited on by the owners Doug and Janie Wemberly. Janie told me, because of the passing the word that Madison finally has a good soul food restaurant, that this was the first month they could actually make the rent. Please check it out. You won't be disappointed. I would hate to see them fail.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews