MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The Bayou

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: The Bayou

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Naw. It was a post-softball destination on Friday nights. I remember one summer the Paula Abdul song/video "Straight Up" played endlessly. Probably '89 or '90.

I forgot about the softball crowd! I was a mid-80s Lundeener, off to other haunts by '89-'90.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 pm

What is this Lundeen's of which you speak?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:50 pm

white_rabbit wrote:What is this Lundeen's of which you speak?

Bar on Fairchild St. Mid-80s to early 90s. It was the "Pirate Ship" before that.

I'm not sure what's there now. Probably got eaten up by the Overture Center.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

Bar on Fairchild St. Mid-80s to early 90s. It was the "Pirate Ship" before that.

I thought the Pirate Ship was where the old Doty Dumplings was before it got Overturized? You are talking about the gay bar, Pirate Ship, correct?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:59 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

It was Dotty Dumpling's Dowery before it got torn up to make way for the OC.

My dad played at the Pirate Ship for many years with the Doc DeHaven Combo.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:14 pm

I remember the Pirate Ship becoming Lundeen's, but I could be wrong. Perhaps Ducatista can settle this.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:21 pm

Yes, The Pirate Ship became Lundeen's but still had the pirate ship mural on the wall if I recall correctly. Maybe it was painted over later. The Lundeen's space became Dotty Dumpling's Dowry and now is the Overture Center.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:21 pm

Yup, Pirate Ship -> Lundeen's -> Dotty's -> acres of linestone & travertine. I always thought Dotty's was super whiny about getting kicked out to make way for Overture, considering their relatively short time at that location.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:25 pm

Ducatista wrote:linestone

Oops, wrong era. Limestone, now.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Ducatista wrote: I always thought Dotty's was super whiny about getting kicked out to make way for Overture, considering their relatively short time at that location.

You mean like crying in the Isthmus about how he's been in a "mild coma" ever since closing and can't seem to do much with himself besides play golf and figure out what to do with the half million or so he got for his dumpy little restaurant.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

So far afield, not in the Bayou anymore...

Postby kulgar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:32 pm

Pirate Ship became Lundeen's (where the Coke was not made by the company in Atlanta), then Dotty's, now that soulless glass atrium where the music bounces off the glass walls and imported marble and you can't even drink red wine, although the marble came from the second largest producing country of red wine and the bleeping architect did too.

I hit the opening party of the Bayou and thought the food decent but my pronunciation of "merlot" got me a Miller Lite. Will go back and give the food a chance although any place with a Dr. Who space ship beer hookah that descends from the ceiling draws a questionable crowd for serious foodies. Then again, I'll probably enjoy the spectacle.

Andrei Yakushhyk did a fabulous job on the murals, everyone should buy a drink there on a wander around town just to see them. Wish that soulless, close to bankrupt place that replaced Dotty's had anything as appealing outside the walls of the musuem.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby baboocole » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Hmmm, it took me a while to respond because I got quite drunk the night that I went out to the Bayou for dinner, last Friday. I blame the weather. :mrgreen:

I had the prime rib po' boy and shared the cheese curds, both of which were very good. But the cheese curds were outstanding. They come with a spicy breading that was just scrumptious. I would say they are close to the best I've ever had, second only to the beer battered curds from the Monroe Optimist Club.

The po' boy was pretty much just really good until I put a bit of the cajun remoulade on it. Then it became spectacular. It was enormous, and I thought I was full about half way through...until I put the remoulade on. I ate the whole, damn, massive thing.

I don't recall what my partners had, but we were all raving about how delicious everything was. I'll be back, for sure.
baboocole

Postby Tsur » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:01 pm

baboocole wrote:Tsur-
He said that was a singular incident, and oysters are normally served over ice.

That's good to know. I'll definitely give the bayou another chance.
Tsur

Postby eriedasch » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:17 pm

Tried the Bayou last nite. Pretty good and I will go back.

The atmosphere/decor/paintings on the wall are worth at least stopping by to see.

Cajun cheese curds were definitely the real deal. Comparable in quality to the Old Fashioned. A little salty, but realize anything "cajun" is typically that way.

Catfish po' boy was very big and good.

Dining companion's prime rib po' boy was "pretty good".

Sweet potato fries were very good and fresh. Same cajun seasons as the curds.

Waitstaff very friendly, attentive, and willing to help eachother out.

Respectable amount of people in there for a wednesday nite 8:30/9p ish.

And any place that has both regular AND habenero Tabasco on every table gets point in my book.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:23 pm

Stopped in for a few drinks a few weeks back. The atmosphere is...interesting. There are a couple of ways you could do a place called the Bayou. Instead of moody, seedy back-alley-off Bourbon Street, they went for murals of touristy fat guys taking pictures of chicks about to lift their shirts and beer in plastic cups. It's definitely high on kitsch, which is entertaining I guess. They do get the award for poorest placement of a dartboard, however. Have yet to try the food, but I've heard mostly good things so I'll make a note to stop in again.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews