MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

greek food

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: greek food

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:17 pm

There's nothing "authentic" about a gyro sandwich.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Where can one find a good falafel sandwich?
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:15 pm

towanda wrote:Where can one find a good falafel sandwich?

I've never been to the "King of Falafel" but my bus drives past it on University and Gillman every day. He calls himself the king of falafel and he's been there for years. I'd expect that sort of attitude to be bad for business if the product wasn't at least tolerable.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chumley » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:56 pm

king of f. has only been there three or four years, i think, and we've always found their food a little bland. my vote is for Mediterranean Cafe, or the Shish out in Middleton.
chumley

Kiing of Falafel

Postby kulgar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Pounds/dollar, King of Falafel is a price performer. Order the combo plate with friends. You can occasionally illegally sneak a bottle of wine (twist off or bring your own cork screw) in. If you have teenagers, this is a place to go. Better than Burrito Drive which has a similar pounds/dollar performance curve and you don't have to be dead drunk after midnight to enjoy it.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:56 am

-
Last edited by Adam Powell on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:44 am

Adam Powell wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:There's nothing "authentic" about a gyro sandwich.

This one broke my brain. What does it even mean?

Like American Chinese food and American pizza, the gyro sandwich takes the usual ingredients of the Greek dish "gyros" and recombines or reinterprets them in a significantly different way.

To complain about having to "speak Spanish" (unlikely) to order a gyro at Parthenon as being un-"Greek" is to miss the fact that gyro sandwiches are barely "Greek" themselves.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:43 am

-
Last edited by Adam Powell on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:04 am

Adam Powell wrote:I don't think anyone here is claiming that gyros is Greek food! (Are they?)

I'm claiming that in my own experience, Greeks make them better than Hispanics or Caucasians do. Does that count?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:21 am

kulgar wrote:Call me a racist but having to speak Spanish to order a gyro doesn't add authenticity.

I won't go so far as to call you racist, but I will suggest that if you have a problem with Latinos preparing your food, you'd best shit-can eating out altogether, genius.

Spanish my ass. But yeah, "un gyro, por favor" is probably a stretch for your limited parcel of gray matter, huh?
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Adam Powell wrote:Gyros is Greek-American food, so I still don't understand your point. Are you saying there are no nuances to making Tzatziki?

There is a strong Greek-American culinary tradition, and gyros is a big part of it. It's definitely possible to make inauthentic gyros.

Wasn't that the complaint? That the new ownership at Parthenon no longer adheres to that tradition?

I don't think anyone here is claiming that gyros is Greek food! (Are they?)

Ugh.

Okay, Adam, here's the original comment to which I replied:

kulgar wrote:Once the gyro protien ingredient was no longer layers of beef and lamb but instead looks like something of questionable origin extruded from a tube, I quit eating at the Parthenon. Call me a racist but having to speak Spanish to order a gyro doesn't add authenticity.

To answer your questions:

1) No, I'm making no claims about tzatziki or any other Greek component of gyro sandwiches. I'm saying that the gyro sandwich is an American invention using Greek parts. If someone is looking for a gyro sandwich as an unadulterated Greek experience, then he's tilting at windmills.

2) The complaint was in having to speak Spanish to order a gyro sandwich at Parthenon, and that such an act impaired the authenticity of the gyro sandwich experience above and beyond the complainant's perception that the meat was no longer a lamb/beef mixture, but something extruded from a tube.

But of course, you know all this. You're an intelligent person, and you know food. Why you're choosing to plead ignorance on this topic is beyond me.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:06 pm

-
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:16 pm

The gyro sandwich is a product of cultural amalgamation. Kulgar appears to be looking for gyro sandwiches served by the cast of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. If he wants unadulterated Greek-ness, a product of cultural amalgamation will never be what he's looking for, plus it's a false standard to hold every restaurant to only hire employees whose ethnicity matches that of the food.

I put the word "authentic" in quotation marks because you can't see my patronizing finger quotes over the Internet. Kulgar's position was stupid, his statement certainly verging on racist, and my response sarcastic.

I still don't understand why you're being so fundamentalist about my language. You and depinmad must be part of a club.

Also, you should have noted that I've been pretty careful to refer to the products sold at Parthenon as gyro sandwiches, because the Greek dish called "gyros" is not a walking-around meal.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Extruded goo

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:30 pm

kulgar wrote:Call me a racist but having to speak Spanish to order a gyro doesn't add authenticity.

I've been eating Parthenon gyros since I moved here in '85, and even back in the old days not everybody at the counter was Greek. There were always at least a few Latino gyro slingers at Parthenon.

But I agree, Parthenon's gone WAY downhill. Breaded fries, yuck. Sub-par gyro meat, lame. And that electric shaver is a sad little substitute for the big meat knife.

Speaking of Madison gyros, does anybody remember the whole Zorba's-employees-hijacking-a-cheese-truck scandal?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:14 pm

-
Last edited by Adam Powell on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews