MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

greek food

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: greek food

Postby jman111 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:People’s Bakery ...

I've only tried them a few times at other places (so I'm certainly no authority), but the falafel there was pretty decent, as well.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon May 23, 2011 9:09 am

jman111 wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:People’s Bakery ...

I've only tried them a few times at other places (so I'm certainly no authority), but the falafel there was pretty decent, as well.

I've gotten the falafel from their stand at the Great Taste for three years now. There may be a few external factors to take into account but I've absolutely loved them each time.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue May 24, 2011 1:27 pm

rabble wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:People’s Bakery (next to Bub’s Burgers across from the East Side Shopping Center) makes an excellent gyro sandwich for $4.50. They also make a shitload of outstanding donuts.

I've stopped in for a donut a couple times but was a little leery of the gyro, expecting one of those frozen heat-em-up things.

If you look in the back room towards the left, you can see the meat-spindle heater dealio. There was actually a nice little char on some of my meat.

The first gyro I ordered there, I didn’t want a boatload of that sauce running down my arm. So when I ordered I said, “Gyro to go with just a moderate amount of sauce on it.” When I got home and opened it, that’s all it had on it: a moderate amount of sauce. No tomato. No onion. Just the flatbread jammed full of meat, with a bit of sauce. Luckily I had both a tomato and an onion on hand to dress it up, though it was hard finding room for them with all of the meat.

Next time I ordered the gyro with a side of sauce ($.50 extra). It had both tomato and onion in it, though the first one was probably a better deal as they seemed to substitute more meat for the veggies. Their tzatziki sauce is nice and thick, about the consistency of sour cream.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby LaughingGirl » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Where can one find a good falafel sandwich?

I still haven't had a chance to go to People's Bakery, but was happy to find them selling at Willy Street Fair this weekend. Definitely the best falafel I've had in Madison in a very long time. I will have to get out to East Washington and try the doughnuts and the rest of the menu!
LaughingGirl

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews