MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Batch Bakery

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Batch Bakery vis a vis Copps

Postby kulgar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:21 pm

"Copps has morning buns as you define them, but I'd much rather have what Batch calls a morning bun ANY day that they are open."

OK, I went to Copps and bought a croissant and their "two for $2.50" package of "morning buns". Any time a morning bun has 37 (I counted) ingredients including mono and di-stuff, five colorings, palm oil, etc, it's a commercial bakery and expects a shelf life of weeks. It tasted like it had been baked fresh this week, but was cold from the cooler over night. It's a small gelatinous mass of gooey chemicals with a rancid oil flavor, not at all what Lazy Jane's, LaBrioche, and I define as a "morning bun". YES, it does taste like their "croissant" which probably also has an excess number of ingredients meant to extend shelf life.

I COMPLETELY AGREE that anything from Batch, probably including the styrofoam cups they servce the coffee in, will taste better than a Copp's morning bun.

Please walk the two blocks down to Lazy Jane and sample the light, airy, fully raised like a budding flower, morning bun. Mabye it's an acquired taste, but there's no comparison to what Copp's, Batch, Clasen's or any of the commercial bakeries sell as a "morning bun". It's $2.75, not cheap, but some times they have day old wrapped in cellophane (not just stored in the cooler overnight and sold at full price) which are decent price performers.

Sacamano doesn't go west of the Hudson anymore, we'll have to trust the Denmark-Racine-Sorenson-kringle source.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Batch Bakery

Postby kiwiwannabe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Research is always a wonderful thing. I have been around long enough to have eaten many Ovens morning buns back in the day. I agree that is the picture in my head when I hear the phrase "morning bun."

Unfortunately, they did not patent it. So like "kringle," "doughnut" or "scone," it can be used to cover a wide range of products.

I admire someone who needs their pastry to be as good as it can be, and I will try Lazy Jane's, as I know that she and her staff produce a high-quality product.

It's just a lot easier to park in front of Batch, now that I'm old and less interested in driving around the block 3 times.......there always seems to be parking down at the bottom of the hill, as opposed to up near LJ.

I moved away from the neighborhood a few years back, but I still visit every week for the shopping.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Re: The Sexual Ecology of Kringle

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
kulgar wrote:(With apologies to Lane's on Park St) the only place to buy kringle this side of Copenhagen is Bendtsen's in Racine. Take the class on a field trip.

3200 Washington Ave.
Racine, WI 53405

Try Larsen's across the street and you'll instantly taste the difference.

I'm into pastry and anyone who think that frozen glop from O&H is kringle, has not consumed the real stuff. Found a Copp's, now to schedule a tasting of their "morning bun".

Have to disagree. I grew up on this and I think it's the best.

http://www.kringle.com/

+1. Grew up outside Ray-town and always loved when my dad would stop and get their kringle.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Batch Bakery turned into kringle posts

Postby kulgar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Yes, you grew up on your Dad bringing you .com kringle and my brother started drinking Blatz at age 5 or 6 and still thinks it's a great product fifty years (and probably 30 brewers and a dozen companies) later.

It's all what we are accustomed to and "morning bun" to me is one of those things, accept no substitute. I'll give the .com kringle a chance but I'll taste it against Bendsten's. Road trip!

And someone must have a handicapped parking sticker because I had to park illegally at Batch at 9AM on a school day just to be within two blocks. Batch has a great local feel, most of their business on Wed-Fri is probably walk up. That's one of the great vibes of the Near Eastside, walk to Lazy Jane's, Mickey's, Bunky's, Batch, LaRocca's, lots of great establishements that you can stumble to or home from. With apologies to all the great establishments in that neighborhood I didn't mention except Roman Candle which has poisoned me twice.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby Ashley » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:46 am

Is Batch selling to any local retailers like Willy St Co-op or strictly walk-in?
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby Kovalic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I'm a stickler on jus/au jus, but I try to keep it from affecting how I feel about the food--just the manager/owner.

...never forgetting that classic, "au jus SAUCE..."

*shudder*
Kovalic

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews