MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Batch Bakery

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Batch Bakery

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:05 am

This new venture from some of the minds responsible for Ian's Pizza opened last week (see the thread dedicated to their predecessor in that spot, RIP Pavlov's pizza). I was literally at their front door this morning...except they're not open Tuesdays. Or Mondays.

Hours: 7:30-3, Wednesday through Sunday.

Gonna get there this weekend. Anyone with firsthand experience so far.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Batch Bakery

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:51 pm

A first bite from Linda Falkenstein: http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=26905
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:06 pm

Let me guess: she's mad because they don't sell hot dog buns.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dudemeister » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:58 pm

They make the best morning buns in town. The fancy Italian pretzels are really good as well (they're called something in italian I don't recall).
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:25 pm

Be nice, Thu.

dudemeister wrote:The fancy Italian pretzels are really good as well (they're called something in italian I don't recall).

I believe those are the fougasse she mentions. Now I'm just stuck with Donnie Brasco in my head.

"Not for nothing, but... how'd you know that was a fugazy?"
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:38 am

I look forward to trying this delicious-sounding place.

My comment, at the risk of threadjack, is to reply to John McNamara who whines to attempt to shame [Isthmus] into branding this place with some kind of code for "they don't take plastic!".

This intended badge of shame makes me want to buy a dozen or two for my coworkers.

I've aired my opinions on this enough times, but if anyone wants to know how I feel, request in this thread. Three requests gets the lecture I cut for your convenience. Longwinded rant all for three different accounts asking for it. Go!
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:09 am

To be fair, that is information normally listed in the detailed Eats list entry. So far, there is no currency info listed.

As for the rant, I'm good. Folks can read the older version and see if they want an update.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 am

With that building being a taxidermist shop for such a long time, it is still too soon for it to be a place to eat.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:24 am

Peanutbutter wrote:With that building being a taxidermist shop for such a long time, it is still too soon for it to be a place to eat.

It was a pizzeria for, I'm fairly certain, the entirety of my 6+ years in Madison. I think it's time to let it go.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:17 am

The place was hopping at 10:30 on this gorgeous Saturday morning. Coffee was available, but I didn't see the provenance.

Got a vanilla swirl, a pain au chocolat, and a little baguette. The pain was excellent, with a flaky, slightly eggy/buttery exterior. There was a genuine vanilla flavor to the vanilla swirl. It was a nice, light little bun. The baguette tasted fine, but definitely could have been crustier on the outside.

$10 for those three and a little bottle of San Pellegrino Aranciata for the missus. The service was friendly, too. Couldn't ask for a more pleasant experience.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chocolate_kitty » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:14 pm

oh no, good food & service, they will never make it!
:D
chocolate_kitty

Postby Bad Gradger » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:34 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:pain au chocolat

Serious question: If I go and pronounce it correctly, will the person on the till understand? This is one of my personal tests of French and French-esque bakeries.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:28 am

I'm sure they love that. What places that bill such an item by the French name have failed your test? Because if THEY don't use the term internally, it's not incumbent on them to be multilingual.

Yes, Batch uses the French on the menu board, and the fellow at the counter didn't hesitate to fill the order correctly when it was ordered as such.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:31 am

The focaccia with sun dried tomatoes was excellent. Great complement to my veggie chili.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 am

TheBookPolice wrote:What places that bill such an item by the French name have failed your test?

Nowhere in Madison, thankfully. Although I'm nowhere near the foodie you are, there are a few things I get snobby on; I figure if they care enough to pronounce it right they care enough to make it right.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews