MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Atwood area restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Atwood area restaurants

Postby Gerard Jackson » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 pm

I moved out of Madison 10 yrs ago and am coming to the Atwood area for a show and visit. Can anyone give some recommendations for restaurants in Atwood area other than bar food.

Thanks
Gerard Jackson

Re: Atwood area restaurants

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Maybe you should ask where not to go.

Alchemy replaced Wonder's not too long ago; they're quite good. Pubby but creative. Try the wasabi green bean side.

Ironworks Cafe is a spectacular breakfast/brunch/lunch spot (although open for dinner too) at the new Goodman Community Center on Waubesa. Menu changes more or less daily.

Lao Laan Xang is always great.

Daisy Cafe and Cupcakery is new and good for breakfasts; their cupcakes are interesting but honestly I don't think they're as good as when they first opened--and they're expensive.

Sala Thai is new since you left, and has been a steady source of good Thai.

Two NE end of Williamson suggestions: Ha Long Bay is new but you'd never know it. Quickly becoming everyone's favorite pan-southeast-Asian spot. And Mickey's serves food now. Their sexy fries are the thing everyone brings up first; I'll say that my brunch experience there left much to be desired on the plate.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Gerard Jackson wrote:I moved out of Madison 10 yrs ago and am coming to the Atwood area for a show and visit. Can anyone give some recommendations for restaurants in Atwood area other than bar food.s

Lao Laan Xang is often exceptional, and usually pretty damn good.
Skip Monty's Blue Plate Liner unless you're stewarding a group of Kroger Deli buffs who imagine they're in Orlando. Alchemy is worth trying: still young but clearly interested in good food – and TV, sadly.

I haven't tried the cafe at the Goodman Center, but it gets consistently good reports. I've only been to the Mermaid Cafe once, but I'd look again (check their hours). I had some kind of delicate egg dish there that was really a treat.

Then there's the Harmony Bar and Grill which, famously, used to have pretty good food. Their beer is still quite good ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:52 pm

Didn't Bunky's move but is still there somewhere? They were great that one time I ate there.

Atwood is awesome for restaurants; even the ones that suck are pretty good
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:01 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Didn't Bunky's move but is still there somewhere?

Bunky's is in the brick building that used to house the old Atwood Community Center. Part of the musical chairs over there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:16 am

The food at Lao Laan Xang is stellar, but the service is often glacially slow. Plan on a long meal.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby Gerard Jackson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew I could count on local foodies for some good choices.

Gerard
Gerard Jackson

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:49 am

Africana and Weary Traveler are my only additions.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:59 am

Gerard Jackson wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I knew I could count on local foodies for some good choices.

Gerard

Harmony for a reuben.

If its been awhile since you've been to the area be careful on the new freeway over.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:58 pm

I really like Dobhan for dinner. They also have a great brunch on the weekend.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:35 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Didn't Bunky's move but is still there somewhere?

Bunky's is in the brick building that used to house the old Atwood Community Center. Part of the musical chairs over there.

We made a reservation there one Saturday night in August. Showed up fifteen minutes early. One hour past our reservation time, we left for the harmony

We still aren't sure we're ever going back. There were elderly people waiting, standing up, with no chairs. No one seemed very worried about seating us. I got the impression that once you were seated, you got treated well but for the kind of money that place costs, I expected better.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:36 pm

rabble wrote:We made a reservation there one Saturday night in August. Showed up fifteen minutes early. One hour past our reservation time, we left for the harmony

We still aren't sure we're ever going back. There were elderly people waiting, standing up, with no chairs. No one seemed very worried about seating us. I got the impression that once you were seated, you got treated well but for the kind of money that place costs, I expected better.
Well, their main course prices are fairly modest, but there's no reason they can't figure out how to plan their seating – no matter the price. It takes a little experience, but it's not an arcane science. At 20 minutes past, you should have complimentary drinks in hand. At 30 past, a guarantee of complimentary dessert. If at 45 past, you don't have a full ride, leave and never go back.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Doctress Julia » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:23 pm

fennel wrote:
Gerard Jackson wrote:I moved out of Madison 10 yrs ago and am coming to the Atwood area for a show and visit. Can anyone give some recommendations for restaurants in Atwood area other than bar food.s

Lao Laan Xang is often exceptional, and usually pretty damn good.
Skip Monty's Blue Plate Liner unless you're stewarding a group of Kroger Deli buffs who imagine they're in Orlando. Alchemy is worth trying: still young but clearly interested in good food – and TV, sadly.

I haven't tried the cafe at the Goodman Center, but it gets consistently good reports. I've only been to the Mermaid Cafe once, but I'd look again (check their hours). I had some kind of delicate egg dish there that was really a treat.

Then there's the Harmony Bar and Grill which, famously, used to have pretty good food. Their beer is still quite good ...

Our food is still good, dude. Stop on by and have a burger sometime. The chuck is ground fresh daily at Jenny Market. We miss you. Love, the Harmony
Doctress Julia

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:04 pm

As a ten year vet of the Atwood Restaurant scene, here is my breakdown:

Bunky's - Not bad, expensive
Harmony - Good. Lots of assholes inside.
Africana - Shit.
Alchemy - Real good, something happened there a couple month ago and its for the better.
Glass Nickel - Awesome. Lots of adorable people inside, feels much more like a neighborhood place than the Harmony's snooty atomesphere.
Dobham- Good. Expensive.
Mickey's- It is what it is, interesting people inside.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:28 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:Mickey's- It is what it is, interesting people inside.

I don't really know what this means, but I've had consistently good food there. I have had a couple meals that were just ok, but I've eaten there enough times to say the positives easily outweigh the negatives.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews