MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Atwood area restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Atwood area restaurants

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Don't forget Green Owl. I like it -- the vegetarian food is good, the room is pleasant, and the service is always friendly and knowledgeable.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
drinkinblackcoffee wrote:Mickey's- It is what it is, interesting people inside.

I don't really know what this means, but I've had consistently good food there. I have had a couple meals that were just ok, but I've eaten there enough times to say the positives easily outweigh the negatives.

I don't think doing standard diner fare well should earn you a "good" rating. The Dairyland makes the best breakfast in town, but I wouldn't call it a good restaurant. That said, I frequent Mickey's monthly and have never had any complaints.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:29 am

Yeah, and you think Bunky's is "expensive" and Glass Nickel is "awesome." You may be "thinking" yourself into a career as an AARP restaurant reviewer. Any thoughts on early bird specials?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I don't think doing standard diner fare well should earn you a "good" rating. The Dairyland makes the best breakfast in town, but I wouldn't call it a good restaurant. That said, I frequent Mickey's monthly and have never had any complaints.

None of what you are saying here really makes any sense to me. If you like food somewhere then you think it is good. That doesn't automagically make it good, it just means YOU like it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:36 pm

A friend of mine and I had dinner at Monty's last night (I'd pick that as my least favorite Atwood area restaurant, but he had a gift card to use up) and we were talking about how there's really not a bad place to eat in the neighborhood.

One place that hasn't been mentioned here is Mermaid Cafe-- absolutely love the food there, it's always fresh, often locally grown, and fairly healthy/innovative. Plus their ristretto espresso is perfect. I only wish their hours were longer.

I'd also like to mention that I've eaten at Bunky's probably less than most of the other neighborhood joints merely because I'm usually traveling on foot and generally with my eight year old(who is a huge Dobhan fan, by the by). But went there for a friend's birthday dinner last weekend and everything-- the food, service, atmosphere, etc. was top notch. I had the special, which was escolar with some type of citrus aioli, on a bed of delicious crab risotto with asparagus. Truly amazing, and I think it was only $16. Most at the table said they'd paid twice that for similar meals downtown.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Mermaid is one of the best in the area. I often want to order sandwiches there on Sunday though...and they only have a brunch menu. Have a similar problem with LaRocca's (they advertise as open on Sunday but often are not.

Still haven't been to Dobhan, need to get there soon.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Lazy Jane's has a fantastic breakfast.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Larocca Pizzeria, not quite Atwood

Postby kulgar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 pm

It's a few blocks down Willy St. but worth a try for great pizza and more. If the owner/chef is not in the kitchen, the restaurant is closed. Or if he has a great weekend and runs out of sauce, it might be closed on Monday.

This is really good value basic Italian (he's Sicilian, born in Palermo) and the wines are several notches above average because he's got a great palate. The menu is not extensive and the decor is basic but a slice is $3.00 at lunch compared to significantly more just a few blocks down the street at a more famous, trendier spot.

I think it's as good as Pino (Bunky's owner's great-uncle) used to serve up in the Bush.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:02 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:
Harmony - Good. Lots of assholes inside.
Glass Nickel - Awesome.

I never get that vibe in the Harmony. You get a couple of old pony tail dudes who act a little smug cuz they bought on Oakridge in the 80's, but no one's ever a dink in my experience. I think the food's much better than Glass Nickel's painfully average fare.

swoon_queen wrote: Mermaid Cafe-- I only wish their hours were longer.

They using those 55 minute hours? Those suck.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:39 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
swoon_queen wrote: Mermaid Cafe-- I only wish their hours were longer.

They using those 55 minute hours? Those suck.

You pedantic so and so.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:41 am

boston_jeff wrote:Yeah, and you think Bunky's is "expensive" and Glass Nickel is "awesome." You may be "thinking" yourself into a career as an AARP restaurant reviewer. Any thoughts on early bird specials?

I think I just realized I really do have shit taste in restaurants. I tend to base things more on whether I like the waitress or not. My favorite food is also nachos....I'm think I'm just going to stay out of the restaurant message board, unless its about nachos.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:31 pm

There's nothing wrong with the waitress angle.

I stay out of the music threads because I like what I like and I don't need 100 people telling me why it sucks and what I should be listening to.

Back on topic, I don't think anyone mentioned Wilson's. The few things I've had there have been excellent. The guys that work there seem to take a lot of pride in the food. Don't overlook it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dougie smooth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Dobhan is one of my favorite restaurants in Madison.

This may be heretical, but I think I like Ha Long Bay more than Lao Laan Xang.

I like Wilson's Sunday night crab leg dinners, and their chili-cheese omelet is exactly what you'd want if you that sort of thing sounds good to you.

And I agree with whoever panned Africana. Did not like.
dougie smooth

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Agree about Ha Long > Lao Laan, must get to Dobhan soon...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Wilson's has an excellent Friday night fish fry, and their burgers are also made from Jenny Market ground chuck. $6 daily lunch specials that are a plate full, Saturday night prime rib. Very good food reasonably priced.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews