MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

MATC Culinary Arts Program Review: Not Fair

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

MATC Culinary Arts Program Review: Not Fair

Postby john_titor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:30 pm

I do not think it was fair to do a review of the MATC Dining Room.
They are learning how to cook.

Jerk + meanie = you.

Moving on....
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: MATC Culinary Arts Program Review: Not Fair

Postby lolagirl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Huh? More information, please. You've started a thread referring to something - but no quote, source, link. I'm curious because I was a student in the culinary arts program many years ago.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Scotty » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:37 pm

They're charging money. Reviewing is fair and appropriate. Students are involved in University Theatre productions, and we review those too; University Theatre likewise charges money. Our duty is to readers, who, among other things, make consumer choices.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Thanks for the link Scotty - I looked but couldn't find it. I agree with Ken - and would add that being reviewed is part of the process in learning. When I did this (more years ago than I am willing to admit to; let's just say that the campus was still downtown) we were reviewed and critiqued at the end of each meal by our fellow classmates and the teachers. I'm no longer in that line of work, but still remember how much I learned that year.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:40 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:They're charging money. Reviewing is fair and appropriate. Students are involved in University Theatre productions, and we review those too; University Theatre likewise charges money. Our duty is to readers, who, among other things, make consumer choices.

I weighed that very same sentiment. Should the meal be free? Would you be surprised that you did not get the very best haircut at a school of cosmetology? I would have hoped that those going to the dining room would understand that things won't be perfect. It did not seem the author did.

Could we review some of the articles you wrote for your High School newspaper?

Perhaps Linda was able to smash some first year student's hopes of ever becoming a chef because he/she dropped a speed rack full of salads. Well done.

lolagirl wrote:I agree with Ken - and would add that being reviewed is part of the process in learning.

Isthmus' circulation stands at about 60,000, with an estimated readership of 150,000*. That is a bit different from the head chef saying your potatoes dauphin suck.

If it were a room that offered dinner 5 days a week and charged L'etoile prices, then I say fair game. They don't and it wasn't.

Not cool.

*http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=25014
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 am

john_titor wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:They're charging money. Reviewing is fair and appropriate. Students are involved in University Theatre productions, and we review those too; University Theatre likewise charges money. Our duty is to readers, who, among other things, make consumer choices.

I weighed that very same sentiment. Should the meal be free? Would you be surprised that you did not get the very best haircut at a school of cosmetology? I would have hoped that those going to the dining room would understand that things won't be perfect. It did not seem the author did.

Could we review some of the articles you wrote for your High School newspaper?

Perhaps Linda was able to smash some first year student's hopes of ever becoming a chef because he/she dropped a speed rack full of salads. Well done.

lolagirl wrote:I agree with Ken - and would add that being reviewed is part of the process in learning.

Isthmus' circulation stands at about 60,000, with an estimated readership of 150,000*. That is a bit different from the head chef saying your potatoes dauphin suck.

If it were a room that offered dinner 5 days a week and charged L'etoile prices, then I say fair game. They don't and it wasn't.

Not cool.

*http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=25014

Maybe they should make it closed to the public if people aren't allowed to talk about the experience afterwards.

The restaurant world is not for shrinking violets, and I'm sure reputable chefs like Joe Gaglio and Punky Egan have imparted that knowledge to their students. If a review, which wasn't "mean" in the least bit, is enough to send them into a maelstrom of hurt feelings and puffy eyes, then perhaps a world driven by criticism isn't the one they should be training to enter.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:35 am

TheBookPolice wrote: If a review, which wasn't "mean" in the least bit, is enough to send them into a maelstrom of hurt feelings and puffy eyes, then perhaps a world driven by criticism isn't the one they should be training to enter.

Spot-on.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:48 am

john_titor wrote:I do not think it was fair to do a review of the MATC Dining Room.
They are learning how to cook.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Weee, had to use it. Come on now. To say it's not fair is BS. Students have art shows, music performances, and publish their writings all the time and sometimes the papers review them. It IS part of being in school. It'll get a whole hell of a lot worse in the real world.

What if you didn't go to school and you opened up your first place. Should you not get reviewed cause your just learning.

john_titor wrote:Perhaps Linda was able to smash some first year student's hopes of ever becoming a chef because he/she dropped a speed rack full of salads. Well done.

If they can't take it, then maybe they shouldn't continue. This is an extremely competitive field and, if you've ever read Kitchen Confidential, it's choked full of d-bags.

john_titor wrote:Not cool.

Being whiny is not cool.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:37 am

According to the review, meals cost $17. That might not be a L'Etoile price, but it's not McDonald's either. Is price the standard by which places should be examined?

Journalists go places and report on what happens, as fairly and accurately as they can. This was not a hatchet job. Most of what happened is presented as fact: "My mesclun salad with warm goat cheese and hazelnuts and dijon red wine vinaigrette, when it finally appeared, had cold goat cheese and no vinaigrette."

Helpful to know if you're planning on going, no? As much as anything, it's a report on what to expect.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:51 am

I went several years ago when a friend was taking the course. I had a positive experience. I was told that some of the ingredients are donated, but 17 bucks is not bad to defray some of the additional costs. I thought is was fun. Too bad Linda's was not.
If you go, it is a crap shoot because it's the learning curve. If you don't want to be a guinea pig for a meal, stay away. There is a waiting list to take your place.
My nephew is a classic success story with the Culinary Arts Program. He started out peeling potatoes part time in a Regent St restaurant and now is the catering manager for a high end restaurant in Mlps. They can even study abroad for a semester.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:20 pm

I am sorry for calling Linda a jerk and a meanie. I was a bit upset after reading the article. I suppose I set a tone for subsequent posts in doing so.

jjoyce wrote:it's a report on what to expect.

That is my point. What did she expect?

TheBookPolice wrote:If a review, which wasn't "mean" in the least bit, is enough to send them into a maelstrom of hurt feelings and puffy eyes, then perhaps a world driven by criticism isn't the one they should be training to enter.

I have never attended MATC, I am pretty sure they have to pay tuition to work for free at the Dining Room. Wouldn't you appreciate the opportunity to get your sh1t together before judgment is passed and read by 1000 people?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:38 pm

john_titor wrote:That is my point. What did she expect?
I have never attended MATC, I am pretty sure they have to pay tuition to work for free at the Dining Room. Wouldn't you appreciate the opportunity to get your sh1t together before judgment is passed and read by 1000 people?

I don't think it's apparent that she had any expectactions going in. But your "you can't expect it to be perfect" line doesn't fly, no matter who's providing the service or what service it is. Expecting any dining experience to be perfect will always result in some level of disappointment because nothing in cuisine is ever perfect. There are variables that cannot be guaranteed no matter how many years the chef has under his or her hat.

Neither does getting a bad haircut at the cosmetology school preclude offering criticism just because it was a student that did the job. What do you think grades are, if not criticism boiled down to its purest essence? Do you think the students are being well-served in their education if all the observers of their work are unable to criticize them?

If being in the culinary program at MATC makes commentary and criticism inappropriate, then they shouldn't open it up to the public. If they don't want press attention, they shouldn't allow journalists to take part.

Do you honestly think that anyone in the program is going to give up their pursuit of the culinary arts because Linda Falkenstein said her salad was missing the vinaigrette?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 pm

john_titor wrote:I have never attended MATC, I am pretty sure they have to pay tuition to work for free at the Dining Room. Wouldn't you appreciate the opportunity to get your sh1t together before judgment is passed and read by 1000 people?

I know people in the kitchen get paid. As a student of the arts, I would have killed to have a student show reviewed in the newspaper. Good or bad. It brings people in.

At what point will they "have their shit together"

Funny thing is that this review makes me want to give it a try. This article might bruise some egos at best, but a crappy review of a restaurant can kill it's business.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
...What do you think grades are, if not criticism boiled down to its purest essence?...

...Do you honestly think that anyone in the program is going to give up their pursuit of the culinary arts because Linda Falkenstein said her salad was missing the vinaigrette?...

Actually, yes,17-21 year old people can be unsure about a lot of things. Plus most people's grades aren't posted on the internet.

Stebben84 wrote:
At what point will they "have their shit together"

When they have graduated and are working at a restaurant?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews