MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Coconut milk contains dairy now?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Coconut milk contains dairy now?

Postby rutabagas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:56 pm

From yesterday's review of Thai Noodles -

The menu isn't too friendly to vegetarians, but a "create your own curry" option saves the day, and almost anything can be ordered with tofu. Vegans have fewer options, with coconut milk, fish sauce and shrimp paste common to many sauces.

Really?

Where's Raphael Kadushin when you need him?
rutabagas

Re: Coconut milk contains dairy now?

Postby towanda » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I caught that, too, along with the fact that fish sauce and shrimp paste are not vegetarian. The mere presence of tofu instead of meat does not necessarily render a dish vegetarian.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby keelio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:01 pm

Wasn't that part of the whole genetic modification of cows to maximize milk production - crossing them with coconuts? Errr...other way around..crossing coconuts with cows for higher coconut milk production? Some guy in Borneo is getting 75 hundredweight annually out of his holstein coco-palm.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Yeah, I don't like to nitpick usually, but reading the review, I was surprised by the "what is vegetarian food" confusion in the review.

A thirty second Google search brought up their menu - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/214/1463074 ... -Fitchburg - there seem to be many vegetarian items on the menu. (Maybe the reviewer asked about it, but since he was concerned about vegans getting coconut milk, I'm guessing he didn't.)

I'm a long-term vegetarian who loves all sorts of Thai food, so I've been wanting to get out there and try this place out. Glad I looked in to this, otherwise the review would have put me off of this hopefully-awesome restaurant.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:52 pm

The problem for veggies - when it comes to thai - is that fish sauce is endemic to so many dishes. Unless they specifically substitute some incarnation of soy sauce, there just isn't a way to cop that umami. I'm primarily veggie, though make that sacrifice for thai - consuming fish sauce; or dashi in japanese restos. Even a thai squash or eggplant curry will have fish sauce - a key ingredient in the curry paste.

Now Indian...that's another matter, and you can be pretty confident that a vegetarian indian dish will be so. Although if that Indian curry dish has coconut milk...
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:00 pm

I've eaten there twice. It is excellent. Prices are cheap and the family is so nice. I had Pad Thai and another noodle dish just to test it out. Excellent. Spring roll was one of the best.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:38 am

Coconut milk *can* sometimes contain dairy. Not always, but sometimes milk is used as an extraction liquid instead of just water.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rutabagas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:26 pm

NullDevice wrote:Coconut milk *can* sometimes contain dairy. Not always, but sometimes milk is used as an extraction liquid instead of just water.

Is that common practice in the type of canned coconut milk that is typically used in most restaurants? Or are you saying just that it is possible to do it?

Not sure this is where the reviewer was coming from, just the same.
rutabagas

Postby NullDevice » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 am

As far as I know, most canned coconut milk uses water to extract the rich coconutty goodness. But homemade can use dairy for a creamier product. As if coconut milk needed to be richer.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hobo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:54 am

That's a midwestern vegetarian.
Since moving here from California I've come to learn that a Midwestern vegetarian diet includes fish & seafood.
Hobo

Postby rrnate » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:51 am

Hobo wrote:That's a midwestern vegetarian.
Since moving here from California I've come to learn that a Midwestern vegetarian diet includes fish & seafood.

Speaking as a midwestern vegetarian that doesn't eat seafood (or fish, which I consider to be seafood), I would like to point out that you're wrong. You're running the rails with the wrong vegetarians.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 am

NullDevice wrote:As far as I know, most canned coconut milk uses water to extract the rich coconutty goodness. But homemade can use dairy for a creamier product. As if coconut milk needed to be richer.

Yeah, you're right - it seems safe to assume that most restaurants are using this sort of coconut milk.

In fact, if you Google Search "canned coconut milk dairy", your very first hit is this thread. We're at ground zero here, people.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews