MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 13.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Depot dogs

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Depot dogs

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:10 pm

OK, so it’s not a restaurant but the hot dog cart at the Home Depot was always a quick, dependable snack. Not any more. I know the owner passed away last year, and apparently he took the recipe with him.

Stopped there today. The hot dog was extremely rubbery, I assume it was left over from yesterday. The bun was stale and the bottom half of it was hard, I assume it was left over from last week. The condiments (tomato, pickle) have gotten smaller. And I’m pretty sure that in the last 18 months that dog has gone from $1.75 to $2.75.

I give that hot dog stand three more months, at best, before it joins the former owner.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Re: Depot dogs

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:18 pm

East side or West side? If I recall correctly there was one at both, but I was almost always at the East side location.

I'm interested to see if they both start sliding downhill.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:21 pm

East side.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm

With the amount of time I've spent at Home Depot lately, I've had my fair share of Depot dogs. While I don't have the pre-passing away familiarity with the stand, I haven't had any problems with the dogs. Certainly nothing as bad as described in the OP.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:25 pm

That dog was flat out inedible. However, based on your ringing endorsement of their continued hot-diggity-dog goodness, I will give them another shot. Next time I will sample a bite as soon as they hand it to me, and if there is a problem, they'll be getting it back.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:21 am

I had a dog at the east side Depot yesterday. It was about like I remember it. A pretty good dog in a bun that seemed a little big for it, but not stale or rubbery.

I'm beginning to think you got stuck with a new worker. Might be the next two or three customers DID hand it right back and somebody got their act together. :-)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews