MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Willy St Bakery Row

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Willy St Bakery Row

Postby kulgar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:44 am

With the first production rolling off the line at Jane Capito's new bakery tonight, there are now at least five great bakeries operating in a one mile stretch on Willy Street. Batch at the eastern end, Capito's expansion two doors down from Lazy Jane's, RP's Pasta, Nature's Bakery and Madison Sourdough at the western end.

I feared that Batch and MSC would seriously cut into Lazy Jane's bakery sales but she's bravely forging ahead with an expansion into that great junk shop Kiosk (or whatever Marco called it). It will allow her to expand her offerings and relieve some of that morning crowd and it's a necessary step given that her "bakery" was a corner of the retail space at Lazy Jane's.

But it's going to take a village to support that many bakeries in such a small space, spread the word far and near that the greatest concentration of baked goods can be purchased every day on Willy St, not just Saturday morning on the Square.

(Note: I didn't even trash the non-authentic morning buns but Madison Magazine, where they apparently follow these postings, weighed in on the side of the good guys last month.)
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Willy St Bakery Row

Postby Crockett » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 am

As much as people dont like to admit it, Whole Foods has one of the better bakeries in town. For bread at least.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Crockett wrote:As much as people dont like to admit it, Whole Foods has one of the better bakeries in town. For bread at least.

I'm all about the Big Texas Cinnamon Rolls in the Humanities Building vending machines.

Seriously, wtf? The topic is about bakeries on Willy St. You're at least six miles and multiple corporations off.

At any rate, I've loved the MSC danishes for a long time, and when I stopped by a couple weeks back the croissants were great as well. I'm really looking forward to going there for lunch someday soon.

Will the expansion into the former El Kiosco make the lines any shorter at Lazy Jane's?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Lazy Kiosko

Postby kulgar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 pm

At least on the weekends and probably during the early morning rush, the El Kiosko location will be serving bakery items and coffee. Don't know exactly when that will start.

But it's the dessert recipes she's been hiding since Boticelli's time that are going to make the stop worth while.

Old Man's Advice: watch the traffic when making an illegal turn, one block west on Willy in front of the Coop is the third worst street in Madison for idiots driving into the back of your car, your bicycle or your body.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby David Lohrentz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:43 am

MSCO guy here. Of the five mentioned, Nature's Bakery is primarily a wholesale company, so they're unlikely to be affected much by the number of bakeries nearby. Ditto for RP's, which is primarily a wholesale pasta place. Our business is supported by over 40 wholesale accounts, with about 5 more starting up in the next month. Plus we do very good business at two farmer's markets and we are looking at doing more markets next year. Moreover, we have a lot of customers who drive an hour to purchase our bread and/or pastry and a lot of people who come from the West side, where we were located until recently.

Jane's bakery is of course an extension of a very successful cafe which is going nowhere. And Batch also has wholesale accounts including the pizza dough for Ian's. Competition is a good thing--it makes us all better. I think there's an excellent chance that all five of the places mentioned by the OP will thrive.

To be sure, next year when Willy St is under construction from April through the fall, all retail businesses on Willy St will be under pressure. However, the local businesses have secured a grant and are working together on the "Willy Lives" guerilla marketing campaign, and myself and a rep from one of the others mentioned in the list are working together on that campaign. I feel that we benefit from being located nearby other great places, so I hope that all of these places do well.
David Lohrentz

Postby Lindsey Lee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Ditto to what David/MSCO guy said.

from The Ground Zero Coffee guy/(also MSCO wholesale customer.)
Lindsey Lee

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Batch Bakery took a hit early this morning.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews