MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Tutto Pasta

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Tutto Pasta

Postby tymexuwm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 am

During my first and last visit to Tutto Pasta in Middleton I was greeted with the worst form of customer service I have ever experienced, let me explain.

First of all, I am a triathlete doing the Ironman in my home city, Madison. I went into Tutto Pasta, expecting decent pasta at an affordable price so I could "carb" up before my big race the next day. Like expected, the place was fairly busy due to all of the other athletes having the exact same idea as me, however there was no wait to get in. Not only did it take approximately 20 minutes to get my first glass of water, or order wasn't even taken until 40 minutes into our dinner. Not a big deal because they were busy and I understand.

When ordering I asked for a pasta without mushrooms, and the waiter said it would be no problem. When the dish came out, the first thing I saw was it covered in mushrooms, so I asked for a new one. The waiter immediately returned and told me that the owner said to "pick the mushrooms out because they are too busy to make me a new one". Not being allergic to mushrooms, I politely said that is ridiculous, but ate it anyways. When the bill came I noticed there was no effort made to make up for the fact that they served me a dish I did not order and basically told me that my thoughts of the place did not matter. I told the waiter to adjust the bill, and when he returned he said the owner could give me 15% off, but that is it. I rudely responded that I received an order that I did not want, or order, and that I would like to physically speak to the owner, or I was not going to pay for my dish. This comment caused the owner (Mr. Tutto) to come out and physically talk to me. He claimed that since I am not allergic to mushrooms, and I ate the dish, he didn't see what the problem was.

First of all, he is correct, there was no problem with me eating it, but if its not what I ordered, and he refused to make it over, then we have a problem. If he was too busy to make a new one, but there was no wait to get in, then it would appear the restaurant was either understaffed, or staffed with unqualified people. We are talking about pasta, not a gourmet dish. I would assume to remake it would take less than 5 minutes.

In the end, I got my dish taken off of the bill, but only after arguing with the owner. I found this to be the worst form of customer service I have ever received and if that is how the owner treats his customers, I wonder how he treats his staff. Not only, will I never go there again, the many tables around me that heard what he said to me, will never return.
tymexuwm

Re: Tutto Pasta

Postby ToxicNed » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:12 am

You say that it wasn't what you'd ordered, but you ate it anyway? Sorry, but since you ate it, you should have paid for it. Had you not eaten it, then I can see arguing about paying for it.
ToxicNed

Postby depinmad » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:43 am

around town, i'm known as mr positivity and light, so let me hijack this somewhat silly thread with a story of wonderful customer service:

i was at texas roadhouse last night, eating like a freaking pig that i am. i ordered the new york strip with a sidekick of ribs ( i think it's a third of a rack ). usually i share the sidekick with tablemates but even after devouring the steak, i wound up eating most of the ribs myself. at this point i was completely stuffed. i passed what was left of the ribs over to my daughter, but she wasn't interested, and just as i was setting the rib leftovers down on the table a server arrives at our table with a whole new third of a rack of ribs. he says: here are some more ribs for you. i say: we didn't order any more ribs. he says: i know but your sidekick of ribs was a little on the small side so we're giving you another. then he walks away before i can refuse.

i love that joint.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am

Riiight.

Is there any reason for the recent increase of first time posters anonymously posting negative reviews, or outright BS, about their competition's establishments?
HOMOsapien

Postby TAsunder » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 am

Are you sure it was the one in middleton and not the one on state street? That sounds par for the course for the state street one - except that you probably would have had an insect in your food.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 am

I buy this one because--like TA--I've heard plenty of dissatisfaction with Tutto.

That said, you put yourself in a pretty stupid position, tymex, by not insisting that the kitchen take it back. You gotta be prepared to walk out the door if any restaurant pulls a BS move on you. You ate it all; it's on you.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Whatever the intent of the poster was I'll still chime in. Tutto Pasta sucks. Their service is fine, but I've eaten there twice for friend's birthdays(why they choose it I'll never know) and was just completely disappointed.

I grew up in a community with a strong Italian background and even worst Italian places there were far superior to most of the Italian restaurants in Madison. Tutto Pasta being close to the top of that list IMO.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 pm

I ate at TP once because I had one of those Restaurant.Com coupons. It was by far the worst "Italian" meal I've had in Madison. Gross. With so many better choices nearby, I don't know why anyone would eat at any of their locations. But then again, some people love the Olive Garden.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:44 pm

i don't have any problem with their food. i think there are many other worse choices in italian food here in town as far as the food.

however, their prices are obnoxious, and their state street location is the last place i've walked out of, unserved.

also, last time i went to the one on king st (same owners still?) it was awful.

also, it's been a while since i've been to the middleton one, or bucatini, which i think is also theirs... maybe they've all gone downhill.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:03 pm

I think the State and Middleton share owners, King is different. Haven't been to any of the above in years.

Back when State was new, I loved it and never had a bad experience. It wasn't until they started to branch out that service got dicey.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:20 pm

I've always had good service and food at Tutto in Middleton. It's one of my favorite places. But I usually go by 6 pm or sooner so it's rarely busy or crowded.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:55 pm

I would rather eat at the olive garden than the tutto on state. I would rather eat cat food from a can while sitting in a pile of sludge than eat at the tutto on state, though. I don't mind the one on King street, but with Osteria Papavero so close, what's the point?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:21 pm

TAsunder wrote:but with Osteria Papavero so close, what's the point?

Well played, sir.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tymexuwm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:10 pm

I rejected the dish, but when the owner tells you he is not remaking it, what are your options? You are correct that I could have walked out and said screw this place, however already being 8pm and the fact that I need to eat pasta and can not afford to go to a different place and wait another hour to eat, my hands were tied. I had to be up at 4am the next morning, and training 8 months for a race, to only be screwed up the night before by an owner that doesn't understand customer service was not going to happen.

As far as good Italian, I disagree that this place is even close to good. The pasta that I did eat had little taste, and since I go to pasta places before every race, I can tell you that for the price you are paying, their portions are ridiculously small. And let's be honest here, pasta is not rocket science, to make a new dish, takes a maximum of 5 minutes, and for a busy pasta restaurant, they should already have pasta ready to go.
tymexuwm

Postby Shorty » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:32 pm

What are some Italian places here you think are better than Tutto in Middleton?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews