MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Cooper's Tavern

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Three search options, all with different results?

Postby kulgar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:44 pm

My apologies, this rant should be on the site comments but it started here...

I believe that the design of these pages where there are three different search options which seem to produce varying results, points out a design issue. Drilling down to the lowest level to start the search gives the worst results? That's not logical.

And a box with "Search TDPF" in small font which only an insider would even find, let alone recognize as geek shorthand for "The Daily Page Forum", is not good marketing. Nowhere else is "TDPF" branded as The Forum, nowhere else does "The Daily Page Forum" even appear as four consecutive words. "TDPF" looks more like a variation of "portable document format" than a section of the website. It's not like that grey area below the header has a space restriction that requires a small font. And "advanced search" in red on grey, are you trying to hide it? I've hit this page thousands of times and that area means less to me than the screaming "DON MILLER" ad in larger red on white font just below it.

As I posted earlier, it's just easier and more accurate to use Google to search thedailypage.com. Google doesn't call it a user error when you mispunctuate a word or proper name....it just brings up the results you are looking for.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Three search options, all with different results?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:40 pm

kulgar wrote: Google doesn't call it a user error when you mispunctuate a word or proper name....it just brings up the results you are looking for.

That's because Google is smarter than you or me. (Even though they misspelled googol.)
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews