MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Fuzzy's Tacos on University

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Fuzzy's Tacos on University

Postby Tsur » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 pm

So I've driven by it by a few times and finally decided to try it. I was pleasantly surprised.

On the surface, it all seems bad:
1) It's a chain.
2) It's a cheap taco joint
3) It's named "Fuzzy's"

I was worried it was going to be Taco Heaven 2.0

But the tacos kinda rock. It's definitely not a Taqueria, but Madison has plenty of those. Nor is it a Tex-Mex Cabana, a genre of food completely missing from Madison. And it's not Mexican. It's more California inspired Tex-Mex tacos. Maybe what Tex Tubb's is trying to be, but much better.

The menu is online, but it's pretty much $2 Tacos. Beef, Chicken, Shrimp and Fish (tempura or grilled for both) - crispy or soft corn tortillas. Pretty standard toppings, but they add feta and garlic sauce. The whole taco package comes together nicely. Four big bites and the taco is gone and you're left wanting more. Simple and effective. They also serve breakfast tacos all day.

Chips and Queso cost $3. Generous bag of light, airy chips with completely inoffensive, if not inspiring, cheeze sauce with some veggies in it. Their habanero salsa (more sauce than salsa) is good while their normal salsa is far too acidic for my liking. The worst thing I tried (and it really is bad) is the salsa that comes with an order of chips. If Mexicans decided to make bad marinara Fuzzy's plagiarized their worst recipe.

We plan on always doing to-go. You can dine in if you don't mind blaring sports television and primary colors. The owner seems eager to please which can mean some lame humor, but I'm sure it's stressful getting a new restaurant off the ground.

Open till 10 and Midnight on the weekends. Cheap, open relatively late and pretty good. We've been twice now and we'll probably go back. If it survives, I'm a little worried that business might be slow.
Tsur

Re: Fuzzy's Tacos on University

Postby c02 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Did I slip through some kind of worm hole or were there once responses to this thread?
c02
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

No, there are responses to the other thread on Fuzzy's Tacos, curiously emphatic and probably planted.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50530
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Fuzzy tacos have worms? Perhaps you were thinking of this other Fuzzy thread from another dimension:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50530
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm

Whether it's a planted topic or not, I just checked with my friend in Fort Worth. She's a life-long Texan and says Fuzzy's is "SO GOOD!"

She suggests the fish tacos.

Dig in.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 pm

"Nevermind" - Emily Latella
c02
Forum Addict

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:55 am

I went looking for this place and couldn't find it. Can someone give me more precise directions? Tried to google it and it was still a bit unclear.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:11 am

don't go, it's a dump, but if you must, it's next to starbucks, where brueggers bagels used to be.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 am

depinmad wrote:don't go, it's a dump, but if you must, it's next to starbucks

Code for:

Its in a strip mall next to starbucks and you aren't served by 20-something hipsters. Its simply not cute enough.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:35 am

HamsterArmageddon wrote:
depinmad wrote:don't go, it's a dump, but if you must, it's next to starbucks

Code for:

Its in a strip mall next to starbucks and you aren't served by 20-something hipsters. Its simply not cute enough.

No, it's actually next to Starbucks. That's the easiest way to point it out to someone who appears to not see the glow of the yellow walls beaming out the front windows.

And it's not a strip mall.

I'm always game for a little hipster bashing, but I think you're making something out of nothing, here, HamsterArmageddon.

And by the way, someone who goes by that handle really shouldn't be throwing "cuteness" stones.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:09 pm

So my updated review of Fuzzy's is that they kinda suck.

The food is always good for what it is…I mean it's a good taco joint. Not too much more. But in the half dozen times we've been, I think our order has been wrong or late or missing at least five if not all six times. The first time they forgot a few tacos. The manager (owner?) was super apologetic and gave us some free tacos when we went back. The second time the same thing happened, but this time the manager wasn't there so we got an apology. On one occasion they were out of their normal chips so they offered some of their fantastic "house-made" chips - they freaking sucked so our queso was pretty much wasted. One time as I was pulling out of their parking lot and I nearly ran over the kid working the counter as he hurriedly chased me down - they'd forgotten a part of my order and I needed to wait while it was prepared. And just today, they forgot to make the order we called in. They just simply forgot. So now (as in this very moment) we're waiting on our food. Most of it is ready, sitting on their to go counter getting cold as we wait on queso.

I think I'm kind of done with Fuzzy's. The food is okay, good even, but the place is consistently incompetent. I know that food service is more difficult than it looks, but Fuzzy's isn't improving and they don't even seem like they're trying.

–UPDATE–

Moments after I submitted this update to my earlier review they ended up giving me the chips and (cold) queso for free and they gave us a full punch card. I'm not even certain what a full punch card entitles us to. I appreciate it. It's makes things a little less irksome. But to be honest, I'd really appreciate more consistent service. I don't mind paying for things, but I do mind cold food, waiting, and driving back to a place for forgotten items.

Fuzzy's - A good taco joint with friendly, apologetic people and really inconsistent service.

–UPDATE 2 –

We're back at home and not only is the food cold but it's also wrong. They once again managed to mess up. We're done. Anyone want a full punch card?
Last edited by Tsur on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tsur

Postby Average Joe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Some whipper-snapper the other day pointed out that I whistle when I talk. And that my eyebrows were completely out of control. I feel old. What's a fuzzy taco?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Average Joe wrote:Some whipper-snapper the other day pointed out that I whistle when I talk. And that my eyebrows were completely out of control. I feel old. What's a fuzzy taco?

It's when your bushy eyebrows obscure the line of sight of an otherwise normal taco.
Tsur

Postby depinmad » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:27 pm

seriously, with the amount of wonderfully authentic taquerias around town and the closeness of taco bell (if you want to go the cheap shit garbage taco route) i am stunned by both the mileage this thread has gotten and the amount of good things people have to say about this dump.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tsur » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:14 pm

depinmad wrote:seriously, with the amount of wonderfully authentic taquerias around town and the closeness of taco bell (if you want to go the cheap shit garbage taco route) i am stunned by both the mileage this thread has gotten and the amount of good things people have to say about this dump.

But I don't want to eat barbacoa, lengua, or menudo wrapped in lard filled tortillas. And I don't want to run to the border. Is there really no place on your palette for a couple of grilled veggie tacos or maybe a fish or shrimp taco? I'm sure that the authentic places are good, but they're just not my cup-o-tea and Taco Bell really shouldn't enter the conversation. Even if their service is better than Fuzzy's.
Tsur

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews