MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Bay 5 Diner-Mazomaine

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Bay 5 Diner-Mazomaine

Postby kimm » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 am

We drive past this unappealing looking place daily, but I've been drooling at the huge smoker outside. It's in the metal pole shed that thinks it's a strip mall on Hwy 14. A day care and a few other businesses are located there. Bay 5 Diner opened up a few months ago.

I went in expected a menu of smoked meats and a crappy atmosphere. Wrong on both counts. Their regular menu doesn't have much in the smoked meats category, but they are adding these, and apparently Wednesdays and weekends do a lot of specials in the pork, beef and chicken categories. We weren't three on one of those days. Talked to the owner and it sounds like the menu is evolving and we should expect changes.

As for the atmosphere, they've done nicely with what they were given. There's about 8-10 nice wood tables, a warm paint and lighting tone, and a couch with tv in the corner. It looks quite nice for a joint with a garage door on the wall.

The owner has worked in the food business in the south for a long time and given our conversations, he knows smoking. I expect good things to come out of that smoker.

Given those weren't on the menu, however, we did try some other delicious items. The burger was fresh ground that day and was the perfect consistency and doneness. A generous 1/3 lb.? Bun was good, cheese was just american. That was my only disappointment. Bacon was available to add for a price-I didn't. Fries were decent and crisp.

The chili and cheese over linguine was a treat. The chili is awesome. Smoked-meaty and surprisingly worked well with the neon cheese sauce underneath. Really, it did. I'm not the biggest cheese sauce fan, but this was decent sauce and worked supremely. Great winter comfort food.

There wasn't any beer on the menu, but apparently they have a liquor license-not sure if it's just a timing issue or what. Prices were very good. It was $19 for the chili/linquine, the burger and fries, a soda and coffee.

So, I have high hopes. Service was superb. I'll be back for smoked meats! Oh, and if you want a Spam sandwich, you can get one here. :roll:
kimm
Forum Addict

Re: Bay 5 Diner-Mazomaine

Postby Richard Marcinko » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Please do not let the drive deter you to this awesome diner. Your hosts, Phil and Ann, will not dissapoint you. I have been to this diner several times with friends and family. There is something on the menu to please everyone.

Phil and Ann have been all over this great country working in the food and beverage industry. Both have decided to anchor in Mazomanie and to establish a small cozy restaraunt with heavenly items. The food is the best around. The Friday night fish, Wednesday night barbecue, Saturday night Prime Rib, you take your pick, you will be pleasantly amazed with the taste and quality.

If you love breakfast, like I do, please try the everything omelette with a side of the biscuits and gravy. The pancakes are the size of the plate. Awesome food, superb service. You will be treated like family when you walk into this diner.

Try this diner for lunch and I can assure you that you will not leave hungry. The pulled pork sandwiches are something right out of the heart of Texas with the special sauce and covered with coleslaw. The baked beans, I will not say more, you will be absolutely amazed. A portion of the baked beans could be a whole meal!

Please give Phil and Ann's Bay 5 Diner a try. You will be glad you did. :D
Richard Marcinko

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 am

Do they have a web site? My SO stopped in a few weeks ago. He said there was nothing for a vegetarian. (FYI: I don't consider a salad a meal.) Rural Wisconsin and vegetarianism usually don't mix, but there are a few exceptions. We are in the area often. I usually just get a veggie burger at the Luckenbooth or falafel at Athens Gyros.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:12 am

Richard Marcinko wrote:The baked beans, I will not say more, you will be absolutely amazed.

Even though you contradicted yourself there, please allow me to say more on your behalf.

"Hello, I am the owner or friend of the Bay 5 Diner. I don't have the good sense or business acumen to purchase advertising for my establishment, so I populate local message boards with my naked panderings seeking customers unable to divine my intentions and ineptitude.

I also enlist friends to write extensive reviews extolling the virtues of a restaurant that most likely will close in six months and result in me seeking protection from creditors. In the meantime, though, please come on over and enjoy my folksy charm while choking down dry food in a coverted double-wide with plenty of tchotkes on the wall.

Yours truly, Local Rube."
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah, Fat.
How DARE someone extol the virtues of a local restaurant.

What nerve! I mean, here on a restaurant review forum, of all places.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 pm

LargeMarge, I haven't found a website for them in my previous searches. I don't recall anything vegetaraian on the menu.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:31 pm

jman111 wrote:Yeah, Fat.

How DARE someone extol the virtues of a local restaurant.

Do you really think that first time poster is an unbiased customer? Maybe not the owner, but obviously closely connected to the restaurant. Why don't you give the place a try and write an objective review instead?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Did he try to hide the fact that he's acquainted with the owners? No

Did he claim a lack of bias? No

How many "reviews" here are unbiased? None

Y'know what? Based on his post, I probably WOULD give them a try. I've never been to Mazo. I'll be sure to report my OPINION here as an UNBIASED customer. (opinion...unbiased- doesn't really work that way, does it?)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm not really inclined to question the advice of a dude who looks like this:

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:09 pm

jman111 wrote:Did he try to hide the fact that he's acquainted with the owners? No

Actually, yes. The poster never said they actually knew them or were related. They just gave their names. Where did it say, "friends of mine" or "my brother"

jman111 wrote:Did he claim a lack of bias? No

That post was about as biased as it gets. I read like an ad in the newspaper, not like a review.

This happens all the time. I just wish people would be more upfront about it and a bit more casual. This one read like the owners themselves wrote it.

None of this says I won't try the place. Although it seems a bit far for a place that seems to have a standard menu.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:16 pm

jman111 wrote:Did he try to hide the fact that he's acquainted with the owners? No

Did he claim a lack of bias? No

How many "reviews" here are unbiased? None

Y'know what? Based on his post, I probably WOULD give them a try. I've never been to Mazo. I'll be sure to report my OPINION here as an UNBIASED customer. (opinion...unbiased- doesn't really work that way, does it?)

You are conflating having an opinion--to which everyone is entitled--with planting a putative "review" written by someone with a vested interest in the business. It would be like the Bush Administration secretly paying a radio host $240,000 to promote the merits of NCLB and not divulging the connection versus letting teachers and students offer an opinion on the program's efficacy. Not that something like that would happen. Also, you're an idiot.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

Actually, yes. The poster never said they actually knew them or were related. They just gave their names. Where did it say, "friends of mine" or "my brother"

By "acquainted with", I meant "having personal knowledge of", not necessarily related or close, personal friends. Obviously he is familiar with the owners, as he revealed not only their names, but add'l details ("Phil and Ann have been all over this great country working in the food and beverage industry. Both have decided to anchor in Mazomanie...").

Henry posed the question, "Do you really think that first time poster is an unbiased customer?" I think ALL reviewers are biased, to one extent or another. I don't think this poster hid his/her bias. It seemed rather blatant.

Fat.The.Gangster wrote: Also, you're an idiot.

I hope it doesn't surprise or disappoint you that your opinion of me is irrelevant and of no consequence to me. If that's what it takes to make you feel better about yourself, go for it.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:56 pm

jman111 wrote:I hope it doesn't surprise or disappoint you that your opinion of me is irrelevant and of no consequence to me. If that's what it takes to make you feel better about yourself, go for it.

Drinking whiskey and fucking make me feel better about myself. Correcting your vain attempts at logic just passes the time.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:02 pm

'Cause that's just a correction of my logic, right?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:11 pm

jman111 wrote:

'Cause that's just a correction of my logic, right?

No, the paragraph preceding that sentence corrected your logic. The sentence in question just stated a fact.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews