MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Bella Vita

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Bella Vita

Postby Igor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:24 pm

On a friend's recommendation, the family went there for Sunday Lunch. Service was good, but it was not particularly busy. General grades from everyone:

Breadsticks: A
Chili: A
Pork/Lentil Soup: A+
Cuban Panini: B+
Italian Beef: B
Fries: A
Lasagna: A
Side of Pasta Salad: B-

Overall, we were very happy. In particular, the soups seemed to be a cut above what you would typically get at a restaurant in this price range. Hopefully they make a go of it...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bella Vita

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:48 am

Did you try the sweet potato tater tots? I saw that on the menu. I have a weakness for tater tots and sweet potatoes. I usually don't go out for Italian food. It's the one type of food I can cook; I prefer getting food that I don't/can't make.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby radtek » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:38 pm

I ate there recently and really liked it. They serve skinny breadsticks with red sauce, much like chips and salsa. I am in love with their red sauce. Our server called it a "sicilian" sauce as it was sweet.

The bruschetta was excellent. Fresh ingredients on perfectly toasted bread. I hate soggy bruschetta. It was tough to make a meal decision as there is much to choose from. Our server actually knew about all the entree's and offered her assistance. After much debate I went with the ol' stand by, meat lasagna. My dining partner ordered the mushroom tortellini with alfredo sauce. She found it to be excellent. My lasagna was good, however I found it to be a bit dry in the middle. I also wished there was more mozzarella cheese in the middle and not just on top. I like ricotta okay, but I prefer there to be a mixture of cheeses inside.

The desserts were very good. I had tiramisu and was not disappointed. My partner had the dessert of the day which was a passion fruit sorbet. Not my cup of tea normally, but I tried it and was nicely surprised. Very refreshing.

I also enjoyed the Italian coffee. Whoever was bartending that night knew how to mix the right amount of Frangelico, Godiva, and coffee to make me drink the first one down in five minutes and order another one without hesitation.

All of the other food being served looked fresh and smelled divine. The pizza looks to on a very thin crust. They offer a few routine pizzas along with a few of their own, more gourmet type pizzas.

I will go back and encourage anyone looking for a decent Italian meal to check it out.
radtek

Postby Beaver » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 pm

They closed, unfortunately. Hard to understand. I enjoyed their food and they seemed busy whenever I went.

http://www.bellavitaitaliangrille.com/

"With great sadness and disappointment we are announcing the closing of Bella Vita. We would like to thank our customers, friends and family for your support. We would also like to thank our wonderful staff, many of which were with us from day one. Your hard work and dedication were greatly appreciated! "
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 am

Beaver wrote:They closed, unfortunately. Hard to understand. I enjoyed their food and they seemed busy whenever I went.

I always thought it was a location issue, because of all the places that went under at what is now China One, as well as the Panera Bread location. By comparison, the stuff in the mall seemed to thrive, only 200 yards away. Old Chicago seems to be the outlier - that has been there forever.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby timby » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Igor wrote:
Beaver wrote:They closed, unfortunately. Hard to understand. I enjoyed their food and they seemed busy whenever I went.

I always thought it was a location issue, because of all the places that went under at what is now China One, as well as the Panera Bread location. By comparison, the stuff in the mall seemed to thrive, only 200 yards away. Old Chicago seems to be the outlier - that has been there forever.

Oh, it's definitely a location issue. That whole area is basically chain restaurant suburbia hell: Chili's, Applebee's, Joey's Seafood, Old Chicago, Denny's, so on and so forth. Bella Vita would have been a fixture in a better Middleton or downtown location.
timby

Postby kimm » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Hm. We ate there just over a week ago and deemed it average, with some highlights and lowlights. Too bad, as I wanted it to succeed. Agree that it was a bad location for an independent restaurant. When out of towners hit the mall, they'll usually go with Chilis, Olive Garden, Granite City, etc. and not leave the parking lot.
kimm
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews