MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
jamesmadisonpark
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

best burger in madison??

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: best burger in madison??

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I vote for Blue Moon burgers too. Also, they get points for being less crowded than the downtown locations.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flopsweat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:45 pm

while doing some burger-related research via friends on facebook i came across a restaurant in milwaukee called "aj bombers". has anyone checked it out?
flopsweat

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:48 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I admire the Old Fashioned's eggburger but always feel overwhelmed after I've eaten one.

I love that bad boy. Dexter's has a similar one, also very good, called the Defibrillator.

If cost is no object, I love the Graze burger. I like it so much I think it's actually worth the price.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:10 pm

It depends at least as much on the atmosphere you're looking for. I love sitting at the bar at the Oakcrest, for instance, and pairing their hand-ground burger (made from sirloin procured from Knoche's across the street) with an ice cold beer.

I'm sure Kenneth is right about Marigold's burger, but I can't imagine ordering one in that place. Just doesn't feel right.

My preferences for great burger and ice cold beer are Oakcrest and Village Green in Middleton. I'm a fan of the Plaza, but get there rarely these days (should remedy that during the film fest).

I had a Bleu Burger at the Harmony the other night and it was as tasty as it was messy. They make their own bleu cheese dressing there, as everyone knows, and add three gigantic slices of red tomato along with fried onions. Damn!

The Village Tavern on Speedway/Mineral Point also has a great burger, but I usually only get it after playing a round at Glenway across the street. And on a sunny summer day when you're done with golf and having a cold one, few burgers taste bad.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Also worthy of mention: Bob's Bad Breath Burger at the Weary.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sadiekat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Still a fan of Dave's Ultimate Burger at Famous Dave's- chopped BBQ pork AND bacon on top of a 1/2 lb burger. My once a year treat.
sadiekat

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:48 pm

flopsweat wrote:while doing some burger-related research via friends on facebook i came across a restaurant in milwaukee called "aj bombers". has anyone checked it out?

See thread ---> AJ Bombers planning Madison location.
Wait a sec, is this whole thread another case of stealth marketing?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby flopsweat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:20 pm

no, no. totally no shifty, underhanded advertising going on here. just sincere interest in burgers. :)
flopsweat

Postby massimo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:55 am

It's almost an impossible question to answer, since I don't just crave a "burger", I crave a type of burger depending on mood. It might be more fancified like Old Fashioned, Graze, or Weary, but usually it's just a straight-up, greasy bar burger like those at Brother's Three, Blue Moon, or Dexters.

Tried Bub's last night for the first time. It was a pretty solid burger, but super heavy on the grease. The sweet potato fries were also greasy, but had a unique spice mixture (couldn't place it, but hinted of Indian food?) that I liked quite a bit. Judging by location and the thin Saturday night crowd, they might be having a rough go.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:08 am

I ate at Bub's for the first time yesterday. I expected the burger to be greasy but actually it wasn't at all- it was really good and perfectly cooked. The sweet potato fries on the other hand were REALLY greasy. Overall pretty decent place to go if you are looking for a "fast food" type burger that is a few steps up from BK or McDonald's.

For a slightly more upscale burger, the ones at Alchemy are pretty good too.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:14 am

How come no mention of Gritty Burgers or Dotty Dumpling? I thought they always made the top ten best burger list in Madison? I have found them good but would prefer they didn't grease up the bun. I like a good burger but it's my husband that really craves the big beef flavor. I'll have to take him to Blue Moon now. Thanks. 8)
Last edited by Lily on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:14 am

flopsweat wrote:while doing some burger-related research via friends on facebook i came across a restaurant in milwaukee called "aj bombers". has anyone checked it out?

As someone who spends a lot of time in social media, this comment is almost cute.

Nope, haven't been there yet, but from all the social and traditional media attention they get, I feel like I have.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:00 am

Lily wrote:How come no mention of Gritty Burgers or Dotty Dumpling? I thought they always made the top ten best burger list in Madison?

Speaking for myself, I've never found either of them particularly great. Just okay.

Likewise Bub's. The burgers have been okay. Not great, just okay.

But since my experience with Harmony's burgers is so radically different from another poster who has apparently removed that post, I don't know if I'm representative.

Haven't tried Brother's Three yet, even though it's on my side of town. I'll have to give it a shot.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:35 pm

German Burger at Tony Frank's
Bob's Bad Breath Burger at the Weary.
Dane Burger or Black and Tan Cheddarburger at the Dane (extra yummy with the grass-fed patty).
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Thusnelda » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:47 pm

I really loved the Village Green double cheeseburger when I had it last weekend. A perfect old-school squish of a thing, more akin to a Jucy Lucy than a Bad Breath Burger.

There sure is something to be said about doing one thing well.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews