MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Red Sushi - Eat There Right Now

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Competitor of a sort

Postby kulgar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 pm

The owner is either Korean or Chinese, reportedly born in Hong Kong but that's all gossip. Trained at Wasabi under Muramoto-sama and is now out on his own.

Round chop sticks which is a sign of a Chinese sushi bar. Japanese chopsticks are square and easier to use, especially for amateurs like me.

I planted red onions one year but only got 5% of them to grow to any size and gave up on that variety. It must be soil or climate, why Vidalia's only grow in Georgia.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Red Sushi - Eat There Right Now

Postby LindsayNicole » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:19 pm

A friend told me that spoons in the miso soup were also a tell-tale sign of Chinese ownership of a Japanese place. (I'm from Ohio, where there is very very little sushi, so I have no idea about this.)
LindsayNicole

Re: Red Sushi - AMAZING!

Postby pahernandez » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:30 pm

I ak the chef what is fresh, he tells me and I order.

Wide variety of Rolls.
I always order the lollipop. Rolled in cucumber filled with tuna, salmon, avacado, and asparagus. Doesn't get any more healthy or delicious.

The white snow is a must! Seared scallop on top that makes it taste exceptional.

All the sashimi has been great quality and quantity. The escarole is spectacular.

Even the "grilled" veggie roll was super. I asked for it grilled rather than tempura and they were happy to do so.

Today they had a key lime pie feature..... One of the cooks made it today and really, was a perfect portion and dessert.

Wine selection is good, and service is very good.

Really, LOVE Red! Highly recommend
pahernandez

Postby kulgar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Ah, yes, another one poster plugging a restaurant. I've only sampled once but the sashimi was not world class.

And nothing says great authentic sushi like Key Lime Pie!
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Kadushin reviewed Red Sushi this week. He seemed to sort of like it, in a hit-or-miss kind of way.

But, man...is he on Wasabi's payroll or soemthing? I don't think read a single review of a japanese or eve an asian place that he's ever written where he doesn't drop in a reference to Wasabi, usually in the form of "buttery scallop maki." He references that joint more often than he uses the word "cloying." I like Wasabi okay but...come on. It is not the paragon of sushi by a long shot.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Somewhat off topic, went to Muramoto in Hilldale for a sushi blowout last weekend. The fish was ok but the portions were a bit small. But the main problem is the rice! There was WAAAY too much rice in the nigiri.

Also, the owner himself was behind the sushi bar so it wasn't like it was a rogue sushi chef or something.

I don't mind spending the cash for good sushi. I understand we're in Madison, WI. But Muramoto has let me down one too many times. If it was cheaper I'd maybe give it a pass. But at their prices I expect more.

Havent tried Red Sushi yet. May give them a shot if they're cheaper.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Ms Vilas and I went to Red Sushi Saturday, for her birthday. Can't remember all we had (after all, we were celebrating her birthday, if you know what I mean). Yellowtail with jalapeño and calamari for apps. While I realize jalapeños can vary in heat, I expected a little more kick with the hamachi.

We had a variety of rolls, including the two daily specials, both had a tropical twist. Had two more regular rolls and another special from the menu.

Apps, rolls, drinks and tip came to a hundred bucks. We'll probably be back again.

Wish I could remember more.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:48 am

Crockett wrote:Somewhat off topic, went to Muramoto in Hilldale for a sushi blowout last weekend. The fish was ok but the portions were a bit small. But the main problem is the rice! There was WAAAY too much rice in the nigiri.

It's funny, as the last time I was there I had the opposite problem.

The maki was fine, though.

Also, the owner himself was behind the sushi bar so it wasn't like it was a rogue sushi chef or something.

Unless he IS a rogue sushi chef!

(dramatic music cue)

So far Muramoto hasn't let me down, but maybe I've been lucky. Ginza and Wasabi both have at least once, and Edo has, the each of 3 times I've been there, been unpleasant at best and gastrointestinally distressing at worst. Takara has been reliable, albiet not stellar.

I think a lot of the madison sushi problem stems from the fact that we're not really that close to a major fish market, so fish quality probably tends to vary depending how close we are to a delivery day. I don't know the logistics, but I can imagine that even the top-price bracket places aren't getting fresh uni flown in every day.

(I'm also surprised that more upscale places don't use real grated wasabi. You can get some domestically-grown stuff frozen, and it's miles better than that green sinus-searing paste-in-a-can that most of the local restos use).
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:40 am

NullDevice wrote:(I'm also surprised that more upscale places don't use real grated wasabi. You can get some domestically-grown stuff frozen, and it's miles better than that green sinus-searing paste-in-a-can that most of the local restos use).

That is one plus I'll give Muramoto. For $5 or so you can get real wasabi. Makes a world of difference.

As for fresh uni, I barely got Muramotos down. And I wouldn't even dare order it anywhere else in Madison.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:06 pm

I've also found sushi muramoto at hilldale hit or miss. I've never been disappointed by the sushi at restaurant muramoto downtown, though. Then again, I haven't ordered the same items downtown that I have at hilldale.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Crockett wrote:
NullDevice wrote:As for fresh uni, I barely got Muramotos down. And I wouldn't even dare order it anywhere else in Madison.

That is the one sushi I will never order anywhere again. I had it once and was gagging, barely able to keep it down. I can't remember if it was at Takara or Wasabi, but I wouldn't attribute the discomfort to either place.

That animal is spiky for a reason. Leave it at the bottom of the ocean and off the menu.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:28 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Crockett wrote:
NullDevice wrote:As for fresh uni, I barely got Muramotos down. And I wouldn't even dare order it anywhere else in Madison.

That is the one sushi I will never order anywhere again. I had it once and was gagging, barely able to keep it down. I can't remember if it was at Takara or Wasabi, but I wouldn't attribute the discomfort to either place.

That animal is spiky for a reason. Leave it at the bottom of the ocean and off the menu.

Ha ha. My wife, who is the more adventurous one of us when it comes to trying foods from other cultures, ordered it once at Takara. Honestly, I can't remember if she got any portion successfully in her mouth. She did agonize over it for a while, so we got something of an experience for the cost of the uneaten food.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:44 am

Went there tonight with my girlf. (wife)
We had 3 rollz and they were all berry berry great. We also had a bottle of cloudy sake which was also tits. And we shared a large beer. We started with a seaweed salad but I was hoping there was more weed in it. Still good though. The cukes were nuclearly good.
Our waitress was sooper dooper nice and accommodating and offered up great advice on her fave rollz.
We noticed the rollz there were 8 thick instead of 6 thick which we were used to. Double plush bonus on that.
The wasabi was ultra and kept us talking.
Our tab ended up at $54 and that included the $15 bottle of cloudy sake.

Overall it was a grenade of a meal (good!).
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Re: Competitor of a sort

Postby Ducatista » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:09 am

kulgar wrote:Round chop sticks which is a sign of a Chinese sushi bar. Japanese chopsticks are square and easier to use, especially for amateurs like me.

Haven't really paid attention in American restaurants, but that hasn't been my experience in China and Japan. The opposite, in fact.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 am

Diaper D: You should be reviewing restaurants frequently.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews